Author Topic: Questions about RS232 ports  (Read 2783 times)

Travis

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Questions about RS232 ports
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:16:57 am »
So I am looking to buy a new TV, something that will work much better with mce than my current one. I want to stay away from ir blasting, and control the TV's on/off/etc, more directly. From what I have read that means a TV with a RS232 port. I have looked around and found answers to most, but I still have 2 questions.

1) So say I have a TV with a RS232 port. How do I connect that to my computer? Are there rs232-to-usb cables or do I need a serial port on my computer? What cable to I get

2) Shopping around I have noticed the majority of TV's have usb ports instead of rs232. Will those TV's with USB instead of RS232 still work with mce when connected to my computer?

My computer is a hybrid system, as everything is in one room, and the tv I am thinging about getting is this one: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3303807&body=MAIN
Just in case someone noticed something about it that wont work out (like the port being referred to as rs232C. No idea if that means anything). Thanks a bunch.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about RS232 ports
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:26:42 am »
Travis

You have to be careful about TV 232 ports, many of them are "for service only", meaning you cannot control through that port. The one you linked to specifically says in the detailed specs "control/service" so you should be good.

Yes, you can get a USB-to-232 converter cable. The Prolific PL2303 chipset is common in many no-brand cables, and is compatible with Linux.

It is very unlikely that you will be able to control a TV through a USB port unless is specifically says that is an option - it is more likely they are for USB thumb drives to display pics, play music etc. If you can control through them, then theoretically I think you can get LMCE to control the TV but I'm not clear on that - perhaps a GSD? One of the other guys can advise there. I would stick to serial though... Would also be a good idea to check the already existing TV templates built into LMCE to see if yours is already there...

pigdog

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about RS232 ports
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:46:59 pm »
Hi,

Most USB ports are only used for service, like applying a software update.

Many TV's that have a RS232 port use that for service only.

For those TV's that have a RS232C serial port (9 pin D-sub male connector) that can be controlled by a PC generally need a cross-type cable.

Usually the PC serial port has to be set to 9600,8,N,1.  All this information including the control codes would be listed in the TV manual.

When you are shopping for a set ask to see the manual to verify that the system can be controlled by a PC and that the control codes are listed.