Author Topic: SOLVED 9600 GT problem  (Read 4722 times)

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
SOLVED 9600 GT problem
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:59:01 am »
I installed a 9600 GT and found out the current video driver doesn't support it. I updated to the latest driver 173.14.09 but the video card stops working right when the kubuntu screen starts. All I get is a blank screen. I have tried pressing the shift key after the decending beeps but no luck. I have used a custom xorg.conf and the generic xorg.conf. Any ideas?
Thanks
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 11:53:26 pm by williammanda »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: 9600 GT problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 03:27:05 am »
William

I'm assuming that you have an onboard graphics chipset as well.... have you disabled this in the BIOS? (not just set the card to primary)

terminal/ssh into your machine and run lspci then look for the new card - note its PCI BusID (in the form x:y:z)

Then edit your xorg.conf file and change the PCI BusID in the Device section to the number noted above. It is probably still set the ID of the onboard graphics chipset....

BTW - if you can't ssh in easily, you can hit ESC during the GRUB boot menu, choose Recovery mode, and then do it all from there at the console...

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:17:57 am »
This intel motherboard dx38bt doesn't have on board video. I can't ssh to the computer because it is the hybrid / core. I will try the grub method.
Thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 04:44:48 am »
Being a hybrid/core doesn't stop you from sshing to it. Only the firewall does that, on the external interface. Internal is wide open.

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 03:31:42 pm »
I can't ssh the core hybrid because it is the only computer up at that point. The MD's are not running at that time.
Thanks

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:41:35 am »
Any other suggestions? Re-cap: During the installation of 7.10 linuxmce via DVD the video card works for text then the screen goes blank right before the "kubuntu" screen starts. Nothing else happens after that (I leave it on up to an hour).
Thanks

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 03:17:05 am »
I was waiting for you to come back on the GRUB option. Realise that you haven't got onboard, but it would still be good for you to use that option and take a look at the xorg.conf file. After building, let it run all the way through to the black screen to ensure it has tried at least once to start X, then reboot and break out during GRUB and choose the recovery mode option. Once you have a shell, take a look at the xorg.conf.

Esp the PCI BusID I mentioned, and run lspci - compare the bus IDs to ensure it is detecting and picking up the card in your "Device" section. Do a dmesg, and comb through the initialisation of your hardware looking for the card and note what it says about it (may be worth doing dmesg | grep nvidia first to get a time stamp, so you know roughly where to look)

Also, in the xorg.conf Device section, ensure the driver says "nvidia", not "nv" or "vesa". Actually, you might want to post the xorg.conf here so we can look at it and check all the other options...

The other thing is to grab the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file as this is the output when X tries to initialise - it should detail where it is failing, if anywhere.

Final question - when you say the screen is blank, is it completely black with nothing on it, or is there a flashing cursor in the top left?

williammanda

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SOLVED 9600 GT problem
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2008, 11:52:17 pm »
Ok it's working now. I found out the 169.12 didn't support the 9600 GT. I went through the exercise of using grub and the Xorg.0.log (using 169.12). 169.12 didn't recognize the 9600 GT. I decided to load up the 177 beta driver and everything works. What does this driver change due to linuxmce when it updates?
Thanks for your help!