Author Topic: GA-73PVM-S2H as Diskless MD  (Read 3039 times)

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
GA-73PVM-S2H as Diskless MD
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:42:45 pm »
Hi,
New to the scene and wondered about adding this NIC to the x64 image for diskless MD boot.
I am reading http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Unrecognized_NIC and it seems a bit ambiguous.

After an updatedb, I couldn't locate the script, so I assume running the command below
mkinitramfs -d /etc/initramfs-tools-interactor/ -o /tftpboot/default/initrd
would be correct, and that does that also need to be rebuilt when you regen a director?

Also, anyone know which module I need to use for the 8211B in that mobo? Would I have to add this module to the list of available ones somehow?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 06:54:38 am by Ritmo2k »

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: GA-73PVM-S2H as Diskless MD
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 06:43:23 am »
I'd stay away from this board.
If you search the wiki, you'll find the board has quiet a few problems.
Some of those problems can be fixed but the main prob. of this board is that upon boot, it transmits it's mac address backwords. So on each boot it's mac address doesn't get recognised by the core which builds a whole new diskless image for it thinking it's a differant machine.
This prob. has been forwarded to gigabyte but up till now, they've failed to fix it in any bios update they released.

Hope this helps.
Itsik

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:56:54 am »
Saw the audio issues, but missed the nic one :( I think I will throw a pro1000 in it just to play, but I am not opposed to getting a new board.
What is current and new with similar specs that runs a quadcore you would reco that works without mods?

Thanks for the help!

Itsik

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 07:54:05 am »
Can't tell you much about quad-core, as I moved to an AMD based setup since then and the 73pvm is collecting dust for now, but I think some of the problem reside in the 630i chipset, I'd go for anything with a slightly older chipset.

I can't tell you off the top of my head right now, but check the wiki for an Abit AN-M2HD. It's AMD based but the integrated components work really well and I think you can find an Intel equivalent pretty easy.

If you really insist on using the gigabyte mobo, the rout to go would be to disable the on board nic and just put a PCI nic in (or two if you want it as a core/hybrid) and just install the latest Alsa and Nvidia drivers as I described in the wiki.

Hope this helps

Itsik

Ritmo2k

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:05:49 pm »
Appreciate the info very much. If I can't make the GA-73PVM-S2H work with the Intel NIC easily, will grab an AN-M2HD and continue with that.

Thanks!