Author Topic: Setting Nvidia Card to HDMI modes  (Read 3065 times)

albal

• View Profile
Setting Nvidia Card to HDMI modes
« on: June 20, 2008, 03:03:09 pm »
Hi,

I was lucky enough to borrow a HDMI Analyser and I have found that my Nvidia 8600GT is showing as a DVI device rather than HDMI.  I'm wondering do I need to make further modifications to my xorg.conf files to tell the card to signal that it is HDMI?  I know this is why I'm not getting sound routed correctly.

Thanks,
Al

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Setting Nvidia Card to HDMI modes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 02:43:03 am »
HDMI and (single link) DVI signals are the same. Your analyser is probably just assuming it is DVI because it isn't seeing any audio or CEC control info. Either way, your card is putting out HDMI video just fine. Digital audio over HDMI is currently not supported, although some people have gotten it to work (intermittently). It isn't an issue with your video/port its drivers. Use an SP-DIF/TOSLINK instead if you have one...

albal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 06:26:17 pm »
Hi,

You are right, HDMI does work - in Xorg.conf you have to switch EDID from false to true.  I'm using HDMI audio without problems.  Though LinuxMCE makes a mess of setting up SPDIF on the SBLive - but that is easily stopped.

As soon as I set EDID on the analyser picked up that it was a HDMI source and also my TV was picking up the Digital Audio.

Kind Regards,
Al
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:28:03 pm by albal »

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 12:37:05 am »
Personally I believe it is better switching EDID on, but some screens do make a hash of reporting their capabilities, especially screen size and DPI which can screw up your font sizes in KDE desktop, etc. If you get that you should put in UseEDIDDPI false, and set the DPI yourself.