Author Topic: Looking for help choosing the right hardware  (Read 2393 times)

artimus

• View Profile
Looking for help choosing the right hardware
« on: June 02, 2008, 05:24:10 am »
I'm looking to get started with LinuxMCE, and would like some help with choosing the correct hardware. I'm hoping to completely eliminate the need to use my cable providers painfully slow menus. Pulling up their menus reminds me of the days of web browsing with a 14k dialup modem.  I'm also hoping to reduce the number of remotes needed, control the room lighting, and of course record tv shows and be able to watch them on either tv.  I currently don't have anything in place for recording.

I am looking for the best LCME experience I can get for under $5,000 (Hopefully not spending that much).  I want to make sure that any further hardware I buy is compatable with LMCE, which is why I'm posting. I want it all to 'just work' so I'm looking to use hardware that has already been tested to work w/ LMCE . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what I currently have.  I'm assuming that I won't be able to use my LG sound system.  I will likely move that upstairs and get a new compatable sound system for my living room.
2 Rooms to start, will need up to 4 rooms max.

Optimum IO TV (Westchester NY).

Living Room:
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD
Samsung 50' Plasma (Don't recall the model)
LG HTiB (LH T9654) http://salestores.com/lglht965.html
Xbox360
Nintendo Wii

Bed Room:
Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HD (Using Component cables so that I can control volume via the cable box).
Polaroid 37" LCD TV.
No sound system or other appliances

Thanks!!

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for help choosing the right hardware
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 05:01:58 pm »
I can't give you specific advice, but one of the users is documenting his experience from start to finish.  His experience may be helpful to you.  His information is at:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Alx9r%27s_Sample_Setup