Author Topic: Stream TV over LAN  (Read 4520 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stream TV over LAN
« on: December 21, 2005, 07:43:13 pm »
Hi!

I found this site when looking for a way to to stream TV over LAN and I have a few questions regarding this. I'm also a proud owner of a Squeezebox3 and I'm happy to see that Slimserver is included.

1. With a TV-card with two or more tuners installed in the server, can I stream over LAN to two or more MD and watch different TV channels?

2. Netbooting a ordinary PC with a DVD player, can I play DVD movies localy using MD interface?

3. Is it possible to stream and play flac files with the MD?

4. What version of Slimserver is included and is it updated automatic?

5. Can I install plugins to Slimserver?

6. Found e few referenses to a windows install but the files is one year old. Is it not supported anymore?

7. Is there a Windows client or is a netboot the only way?

8. Is it possible to ripp DVD?

9. Does the MD need to be wired?

10. If the MD needs to be wired is HomePlug fast enough?

11. A vmware images of both server and MD would be nice now then there is a nice player for free. ;-) For hazelfree try and buy.

Sorry if the questions have been asked before but I have search the forum and read the manual.

Regards
/Bernt

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: Stream TV over LAN
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 12:42:25 pm »
Quote from: "bernt"
Hi!

I found this site when looking for a way to to stream TV over LAN and I have a few questions regarding this. I'm also a proud owner of a Squeezebox3 and I'm happy to see that Slimserver is included.

1. With a TV-card with two or more tuners installed in the server, can I stream over LAN to two or more MD and watch different TV channels?

2. Netbooting a ordinary PC with a DVD player, can I play DVD movies localy using MD interface?

3. Is it possible to stream and play flac files with the MD?

4. What version of Slimserver is included and is it updated automatic?

5. Can I install plugins to Slimserver?

6. Found e few referenses to a windows install but the files is one year old. Is it not supported anymore?

7. Is there a Windows client or is a netboot the only way?

8. Is it possible to ripp DVD?

9. Does the MD need to be wired?

10. If the MD needs to be wired is HomePlug fast enough?

11. A vmware images of both server and MD would be nice now then there is a nice player for free. ;-) For hazelfree try and buy.

Sorry if the questions have been asked before but I have search the forum and read the manual.

Regards
/Bernt

Hi,

I am not one of the Pluto team so my responses are just based on our experiences with Pluto to date. I know the Pluto guys are all busy preparing for CES so here are my 'un-official' responses to your questions;

1. Yes with either MythTV or soon VDR.

2. Yes you can play a local DVD from an MD.

3. You can certainly play flac files that have been stored on the Core from an MD. Not  sure about streaming flac's though.

4 Our Core's tell me they have this version of Slimserver installed; slimdevices-slim-server = 05042800-1

5. I am not familiar with Slimserver at all but I think it is safe to say that if Slimserver supports 'Plug-in' then the answer is yes.

6. There is a Windows version of the Orbiter software but not for a complete MD. The Orbiter software is what you use to control the Pluto system - it provides the UI on any machine it run on. You can get the Orbiter software for Debian (included when you create an MD), Windows XP, Windows PDA's and mobile phones and also for Symbian based mobiles/PDA'a.

7. There is not currently a Windows based MD... but you can download a Windows version of the Orbiter software.

8. Yes you can rip a DVD and store it on the Core.

9. An MD does not inherently have to be wired. However an MD does need a fast network connection and typically that is still best delivered over a physical connection.

10. In our experience Homeplug certainly works fine. But your mileage may vary based on the wiring and electrical noise in your installation environment.

11. Can't respond/answer this one!

Anyway I hope this reply helps you until an official Pluto response is available.

Merry Xmas!

Andrew

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stream TV over LAN
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:30:14 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

Another question. Is USB TV tuners supported on the core?

My main goal is to stream live TV to my kids computers. The computers have wireless 3com usb nic.

Regarding question nr 9. If I use a PC as an MD and boot from network i guess it needs to be wired as the OS is downloaded from the core?

Regards
/Bernt

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Stream TV over LAN
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 02:51:59 pm »
Quote from: "bernt"
Thanks for the reply.

Another question. Is USB TV tuners supported on the core?

My main goal is to stream live TV to my kids computers. The computers have wireless 3com usb nic.

Regarding question nr 9. If I use a PC as an MD and boot from network i guess it needs to be wired as the OS is downloaded from the core?

Regards
/Bernt

Hi again,

We have not tried any USB TV Tuners with our Cores but we do intend to early next year. So I can't comment as to whether they would work 'out of the box' with the current Kernel - but they might. If they didn't I am sure they could be made to. As to using wireless networks with Pluto all I can say that they will work it is just an issue of how well. We have used wireless connections for connecting laptop based Orbiters and also for PDA based Orbiters.

Yes MD's pxe boot from the Core and require no space on the local hard drive to boot. Again whether a wireless connection will be up to the job is really down to your local wireless environment. The only way to know for sure is to test it for real. I would suggest 802.11g at least.

Cheers

Andrew