Author Topic: UI Menu Not Responding After SATA Install  (Read 3322 times)

paulv

• View Profile
UI Menu Not Responding After SATA Install
« on: May 27, 2008, 08:29:58 pm »
I installed 7.10b3 (64 bit) on a 40 gig IDE drive on an ASUS board with an AMD Athlon FX processor and ran it as a hybrid.  No problems, worked fine.

Then I installed three brand new WD 320 gig SATA drives and the machine went nuts.  The admin page won't let me configure all three as a RAID 5 array (gives "damaged" error) and it doesn't give me the option of formatting the drives.  LinuxMCE recognizes the drives and lets me add them as public storage, but then after rebooting the UI does not respond to commands.  The cursor operates as normal, but the Flickr art loads and displays very, very slowly.

I have tried reinstalling the ISO from scratch without luck.  If I leave the SATA drives (or even just one or two drives) in the machine during installation, LinuxMCE recognizes them as a damaged RAID.  Deleting the RAID array from the system admin page and recreating a new array doesn't work- RAID creation fails with an error.  If I try to use the SATA drives as storage (without RAID) then the UI freezes up.

Drives are good (tested them on both XP and FreeBSD systems).  Any clue?

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: UI Menu Not Responding After SATA Install
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 09:52:53 pm »
format them all with ext3 file system then connect them to core and reboot, There are several forum posts around in here with your same problem illustrated.

paulv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 11:09:50 pm »
Thanks, how do I format them ?

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 11:55:47 pm »
You'll have to use fdisk commands in a console. Do a google search on the usage, if you've never done it, it will take a bit of discovery but then you'll be all set.

b4rney

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:30:54 am »
I had to format my new SATA 500Gig HDD which my core refused to see. Here's what I did...

I shutdown my core. Went into the bios and configured CD Drive as the first boot option (actually I always have this set anyway!).

Put in my UBUNTU 8.04 install CD and ran the live cd. Use the installed partition manager to format the new drive using the nice user interface (because fdisk scares me!). I did an ext3 format.

Rebooted the Core (minus CD) and LinuxMCE found the new device and asked for permission to add it. Sorted.

Hope this helps.
Barney