Author Topic: This sucks ass  (Read 18982 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
This sucks ass
« on: December 17, 2005, 09:14:59 pm »
Hey, know why Windows blows Linux out of the water.  It's because of crap like this. The files given, the links given, the advice  given....   ALL WRONG....  you guys suck

when one types a make command and gets nothing but errors, it sucks
when a system like Pluto, has to wipe your entire HDD to install, it sucks
when ppl's advice is vague at best, it sucks..

If you ppl want to make Linux better, add some form of uniformity.  With all the distros out there, advice might be good for some, but not for others.
 :evil:

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
I agree
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 09:25:36 pm »
No FAQ section, the help given is minimal.

What are you guys thinking?

Looking at the posts, I saw a question asking about failure compiling
the answer given "It shouldn't fail"

Well, obviously it did, and an answer like that is atrocious.

Where are the instructions to install the blackbird driver????

Whenever I download these drivers, and try to tar -xvf them, I get a message saying "they do not appear to be valid tar files"

GREAT JOB Pluto, I can't wait to get your software, hahahahaha
 :twisted:

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: This sucks ass
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 09:44:45 am »
Quote from: "Crapp"
Hey, know why Windows blows Linux out of the water.  It's because of crap like this. The files given, the links given, the advice  given....   ALL WRONG....  you guys suck

WARNING This is getting personal already, so I'll be breathing fire. Watch out!

People are having a hard time creating a product here (unlike "others") and don't have Microsoft's budget or marketing cap, so, from this point of view, you suck (you used this word, so I assume it's ok to use it back; ed, please confirm). If we suck, and you really, REALLY, want to help us, then do so. Saying that we suck doesn't help us at all. Ok, so we suck. What do YOU suggest we do about it? Have anything to add to our thing? Judging by this post, you don't. What I'm saying is: either you have something to say, or you shut the hell up. "You suck" isn't "something to say". It only makes you feel better before you "die stupid, alone and in great pain"(tm) :)

when one types a make command and gets nothing but errors, it sucks
when a system like Pluto, has to wipe your entire HDD to install, it sucks
when ppl's advice is vague at best, it sucks..

We're getting payed to do development here, not free tech support, and certainly not free brain replacement.

Anyway, Pluto only offers to delete your entire hardware. It doesn't force you to. You can still say NO (and NO means NO) and make the partitions your way, or you can use Windows to repartition your system and leave some disc space unpartitioned, in which case you'll have the choice to "Use free disc space".

If you ppl want to make Linux better, add some form of uniformity.  With all the distros out there, advice might be good for some, but not for others.
 :evil:

Uniformity never got anyone anything good. Just look at the easter Europe, where the communist regimes fell recently (like about 16 years ago). Communism = uniformity, right? And what good did that do? Yet, some people, won't say who, say Linux is a form of communism, yet they say "bring some uniformity here". Something doesn't match here... see anything?

On second thought, Linux IS uniform. UN*X is uniform. What you learn in Linux, can be applied, with little change, on any UN*X derivative: FreeBSD, MacOS X, IRIX, HP-UX, SCO's Unixware, etc. and probably the upcoming Windows Vista too (from what I hear, that's where it's going). Oh... it's not uniform for the mouse-clicking user :) It will never be, if you put it that way. And to support my point: how many cell phones (these are very common devices among the masses) are actually running something you'd be able to call "uniform"? But that doesn't seem to matter...

(flame on)
Look from the "appliance" perspective, which we target, do you still think the same?
(flame off)

PS. Did you get any rootkited music CD lately that you don't know about?  :twisted:
PS 2. Done breathing fire (for this post).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: I agree
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:56:34 am »
(This post is firey too)
Quote from: "mce3331"
No FAQ section, the help given is minimal.
. No team was really assigned specifically on this topic, so I can't say anything against this affirmation.

What are you guys thinking?
Mostly C++, bash and MySQL. That's what we're thinking.

Looking at the posts, I saw a question asking about failure compiling the answer given "It shouldn't fail"
That would me one of mine. Sometimes I answer like that. Look at my title: Pluto Developer, so I'm bound to give lapidary answers give the bouncing I have to go through, don't you think?

Well, obviously it did, and an answer like that is atrocious.

Where are the instructions to install the blackbird driver????

After CES, if we're still going to be around to answer stupid forum questions, the blackbird driver will be integrated, and only ivtv will have a problem, and also the firmware. Lincensed (i.e. non-public, non-free) Pluto installations won't have any such problems. Don't like the state of the fact? Ask your legislators to drop some stupid copyright acts they promoted lately (myself, I'm not in the US. I don't have those limitations, and Pluto Inc. is not responsible for my declarations in any way).

Whenever I download these drivers, and try to tar -xvf them, I get a message saying "they do not appear to be valid tar files"

Are those files .tar.gz? If yes, then tar is right: they are NOT .tar files. You need a "z" in the parameter list.

Anyway, I don't get how you got to the .tar.gz version of the files. If you had a Pluto system, you'd just choose them from a dropdown box in a web page.

If you want blackbird drivers for your generic Linux distro, then go checkout the source from the V4L+DVB CVS (found at LinuxTV.org), which is what we're using too (the blackbird part that we contributed has been merged for a while now) and build them against YOUR kernel sources. Our cx88 copy in subversion is just a frozen version of V4L+DVB. If you look into the commit logs, you'll see: "Updated to V4L CVS from date X.Y.Z" or something like that.

GREAT JOB Pluto, I can't wait to get your software, hahahahaha
 :twisted:

Thanks for... um... nothing, really. Have a happy ignorant life.
(End of fire).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
This sucks ass
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 10:10:50 am »
For those of you who called their libel laywers already:

Pluto Inc. is not reponsible for any of the ideas I alone thought and wrote in the above two posts. I, in the full faculty (not sure about this one though) of my mind, I declare myself the only one responsible for my declarations.

If you attack something or someone just because they're different (or you think they put your "beliefs" in danger, although they're really not) and look (or so you think) like terrorists, expect them to reply with the same exact words you used (Replace "reply" and "words" with whatever military words you see fit) in the first place. Hell, they'll even learn to write them themselves (this goes both ways), and you school yard bullies (replace with actual naming formula) won't like them for sure, and "get back" at them because they had the guts to get back at you. So, if you're monitoring, you'll "get back" at me, and this thread will officialy be marked as "FLAME".

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: This sucks ass
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 02:42:14 am »
Hey Guys,

Thanks for leaving this topic on the forums.  Nice to get a chuckle out of this.  

Just a thought, but if someone doesnt understand what their doing compiling an app, then maybe they should stick with Windows.

Oh, and thanks for including OSX in the list of *nix's.  :)

john P