Author Topic: KDE dpi and/or resolution problem  (Read 4592 times)

kaztraz

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
KDE dpi and/or resolution problem
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:25:13 pm »
Okey i have searched the forums so don't bash me :) and found allot of information regarding this but all of it requires me to be very familiar with Linux which i aint and also requires me to actually be able to read the text on the screen which i cant... so is there any easy way for you "pro´s" here to walk me through this :)

Kind regards,

Kazzy "the NOOB" :D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:45:45 pm by kaztraz »

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: KDE dpi problem
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:27:54 pm »
you should probably be a little more specific about the problem or people will be more apt to read and move on.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

kaztraz

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Re: KDE dpi problem
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:46 pm »
you should probably be a little more specific about the problem or people will be more apt to read and move on.

Yeah sorry, so it´s the fonts they are so small... the res is good but the fonts in the system are so small i cant read them just see some black lines :(

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: KDE dpi and/or resolution problem
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 01:24:53 am »
There are two things to try:

1) adjust KDE font size from control center.
2) adjust Xorg's dots per inch setting.

First, make sure the font size is something reasonable:

System Settings, Look & Feel, Appearance, Fonts

The fonts should be around 16 points in size.

To adjust Xorg's dpi, see this post: http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4869.msg28458#msg28458

At one time, I read a different way to adjust the dpi on the linuxmce wiki, but just now I couldn't find it.

HTH,
Roy

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 04:12:11 pm »
Usually the problem is that X doesn't know how big your screen is, try: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers#Physical_display_size, and if that doesn't work see: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers#Microscopic_fonts_in_KDE for an alternative way to specify the DPI directly.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 02:25:50 am »
As Zearc said - some screens report using EDID (if you have turned this on) the wrong screen size - eg 16x9 which is then interpreted as 160mmx90mm!
If you have turned on EDID, then you could try using UseEDIDDPI - false to let it use the default (75dpi), or explicitly set it using UseDPI - 100

Alternatively, if you haven't turned EDID on, then you could try this as the screen might actually report the correct DPI and this would fix it as well. Change the line "UseEDID" "false" to "true".

EDID will only work with connector types like VGA, DVI and HDMI, not composite or other analogue ones. All these settings are in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf - you can edit this by connecting to your core remotely from another computer using ssh (download PuTTY) this will get around your issue of not being able to see the screen. Its a text terminal program. Easiest to do this from the Internal network. You might want to install Joe as your text editor:

sudo apt-get install joe

Oh, and if you installed with the DVD, the username and password should both be linuxmce

Col

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:11:55 am »
EDID will only work with connector types like VGA, DVI and HDMI, not composite or other analogue ones.

FYI, I've found that EDID does not work thru my AV receiver, even with HDMI connections...

Have fun,
Roy

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 01:34:30 am »
What receiver have you got Roy? It works through my Marantz but xorg.0.log reports the Marantz as the display. And its EDID seems to be a subset of the TV's. Not sure if this limits anything...

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:10:43 am »
I purchased a Yamaha RX-V861 AV receiver back when it was new for the HDMI switching feature.  In retrospect, not a good decision, a generation too early.  But I need to finish my sabbatical and re-enter the workforce before correcting it.  :)

Have fun,
Roy