Author Topic: Some videos play with no audio on 0710RC1  (Read 4668 times)

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Some videos play with no audio on 0710RC1
« on: April 26, 2008, 06:51:22 pm »
Hello,

I just did a fresh install of RC1. I noticed that some video files, that use to play OK on Beta4, now play with no audio. The rest of my video collection plays OK. My system support DTS/Dolby thru an optical s/pdif. Has anybody experience something like this?

Erasmo.

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Some videos play with no audio on 0710RC1
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 08:44:00 am »
I did notice that after I installed RC1 that somehow my LMCE volume had been set all the way down.  My stereo is not controlled by LMCE and I usually just use the stereo remote for volume adjustment, so it took about five minutes of feeling confused before I thought to check the LMCE volume control. 
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 09:08:44 am »
When doing a new install (dvd i386) of RC1, I did notice the volume in the AV setup wizard was around 20% instead of the usual 80% area.  I changed it there in the AV wizard.  I've just played one video and the volume was fine.  Audio is SPDI/F optical to an uncontrolled AV Receiver (it's unsupported so have to manually create it).

I did notice that starting with beta 4 and still in RC1, that when starting the KDE desktop, the initial desktop is ready sound is badly saturated (major clipping).

Also DTS volume worked in the AV setup wizard!  Whooop!

Have fun,
Roy

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 09:36:45 am »
Hi,

I just run the AV setup wizard and set the volume to 100%. I still have the same problem. Son videos play OK, others play with no audio. Geoffrey, how did you exactly adjust your volume? I tried setting my receiver to the maximum, but no luck.

geoffrey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 09:22:08 pm »
I used the normal LMCE volume adjustment.  And interestingly the white bar indicating how loud the volume should be was at the max, but when I moved that gyro over to the right, it increased. (the volume, not the indicator bar)
Asus M2NSLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 BE-2400 2.3GHz
Asus EN6200TC512 Graphic Card
WinTV PVR-150 MCE
(2) Samsung T166 SATA II 500GB
Corsair TwinX 2GB CL5 DDR2-800

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 09:37:59 pm »
Hi. Took me a while to find the Volume control. I use a windows remote and the volume control has no effect. I had to press F8 on my keyboard to adjust it. No matter how I set it 100% 75% 50%. I still got no audio on some of my videos. The rest play fine. I baffled.

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 07:08:40 am »
Oh! And I just found out that DVDs play with no audio too. They used to play OK on beta4!

Could someone please verify this?

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 08:53:50 am »
When doing a new install (dvd i386) of RC1, I did notice the volume in the AV setup wizard was around 20% instead of the usual 80% area.  I changed it there in the AV wizard.  I've just played one video and the volume was fine.  Audio is SPDI/F optical to an uncontrolled AV Receiver (it's unsupported so have to manually create it).

I did notice that starting with beta 4 and still in RC1, that when starting the KDE desktop, the initial desktop is ready sound is badly saturated (major clipping).

Also DTS volume worked in the AV setup wizard!  Whooop!

Have fun,
Roy

Roy - that's interesting, I have noticed that as well - everytime I go into KDE for the first time, the intro sound it plays is bad. However, I didn't interpret this as saturation or clipping, more some kind of hardware issue that doesn't present in LMCE itself. This was because it sounds like the sound is actually being rapidly gated (as if the audio stream is rapidly being cut off and then re-enabled). I can see how it could be clipped, but it does actually sound like the sound is stopping completely then coming back, and the cycle is quite slow compared with what I would expect for saturation - like 10Hz (complete guess!) rather than faster and quite random "cracking" distortion.

How does this compare with yours? Are you certain its clipping? I had thought I had some hardware conflict between LMCE and KDE, which is why I didn't hear the problem in LMCE itself....

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008, 10:21:24 am »
I think we are hearing the same thing.  My first thought was it sounded like a blown speaker, but it's been 20+ years since I've heard one.  Actually it's been almost as long since I've over saturated a speaker too...  Now that you mention it, it does remind me of when I was playing with slow D/A sample rates using a 6809 with 32KB EEPROM & 16KB SRAM...  Now if that doesn't date me...   ;)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:57:09 am »
6809?! Crap, sounds like we are going to have fundamental disagreements, I'm a 6502 boy :)

Wonder what it is, then? It does sound gated to me.... wonder if we should log it as a mantis now there is at least 2 of us?

erasmix

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2008, 01:04:51 am »
I played with the Apple II as well :) What about the audio problem? Is anybody else experiencing it? Is there a way I can provide you with info to diagnose it?

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2008, 06:29:12 am »
I played around with the sound from within KDE.  If you open up system settings, sound system, there is a test sound button that when pressed exhibits the same sound quality issue.  My core/hybrid connects to my AV receiver via optical spdif.  Adjusting the AV receiver's volume does not effect the sound issue.  I then played with KMixer and noticed that the volume is unchanged, no matter what output slider is adjusted.  So it's like KMixer is being bypassed.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  Has anyone mapped out the components and interconnects for the LMCE sound system?

HTH,
Roy