Author Topic: Linux MCE installation failed  (Read 4485 times)

befriendly

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Linux MCE installation failed
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:35:39 pm »
Hi everyone,
Can anyone please helps me with the installation of Linux MCE on Kubuntu for the Media Center? I have tried to install several times, and it never works for me.  Here is what I have done.
1/ Install Kubuntu 7.10 on the brand new hard disk drive
2/ Run mce-installer. It ran successfully and created an icon on the Desktop "Install Linux MCE"
3/ Click on "Install Linux MCE" and follow the wizard. I got all that.  It runs for about 20 minutes and always stops at the error message. "..Installation failed. Failed to install mysql server ...."

I already did sudo apt-get update. I don't know why it can't install mysql server and just stops there. Please hook me up with that.  Thank you.

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Linux MCE installation failed
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:36:24 am »
fresh drive? why not use the install DVD?

befriendly

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 12:42:38 am »
Thanks for your help.  Yes, I am thinking about that. I need the software that can burn the iso image for DVD. Is Nero the best one?

itspac

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:01:43 am »
I use the software on my fedora box, there should be some burning software on the 710 box you just built. I dont know I havent looked that deep into Kubuntu.

Most burn software should be able to burn an .iso  some may just call it backup or disc from image.

nebule

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:29:30 am »
I have the same problem, it failed to install mysql server. I'm giving up on it, its not quite polished yet for wide public use. What bothers me the most is that my update manager is now completely broken. Does anyone know how to get it working again? Mce thing disabled it during install as it apparently wants to have full control of system parameters, but it forgot to revert the changes when it failed to install.

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 01:36:06 pm »
befriendly,

itspac is correct, you should have some burning software already on your machine.  Look for "K3b" and should be able to burn the Quick Install DVD.  Also, do not run any updates yourself, as this tends to break LMCE.  Updates are taken care of by the LMCE automaticely.   

nebule: You may want to use the DVD as well.  I've noticed that the CD's don't always work smoothly.  I've been playing LMCE for about a year now, and I must say that there has been some vast improvements made from when I first installed it.  I would give the 710 RC DVD a try, and if you run into any problems, posts them so someone can point you in the right direction.
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 09:49:22 pm »
Here's the thing .you said post any problems here and people can help. try this .

i have install the quick dvd rc1 and have also tried beta 3 & 4 ,and i still get my problem which no one seems to know whats wrong.

After installing without any problems i reboot and load my machine .Now i can browse my media just fine .But and a Big But  ,if i leave it for more then 20 minutes to an hour it hangs and stops responding .

the keyboard and mouse don't respond and the remote does nothing .whats left is this picture i took of my screen ,see it here

www.piknclik.com/linuxmce

Also using a pc as a md makes my linuxmce become unstable again it stops responding the dhcp looses network  and the md stops ,again all thats left is a reboot of both machines.

So can you explain to me how they can help??

I have enable remote assistance a number of times and no seems to look at my machine . i have been at this for two weeks now and have left a number of topics both here and at linuxmce bug reports .

and yet no one has came up with an  idea ,what could be wrong .

But i just like to say that i love what linuxmce can do and hate the fact that might have to return to windows mce untill an stable vr of linuxmce is available
But for the moment i'll see what happens with my topics.

I just wanted to add this.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
We'll need more info to figure this out. What hardware is the starting point. The screen shot suggests the video is getting hosed by something. The timing is a clue but I'm not sure how to check it. You could look at the logs and see what happens around the time it locks up.

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 10:12:21 pm »
have a look at my log for this evening .its gone mad from 20:50 pm .theres no pluto admin in the computing. the video only shows dvd cover s no writing of the film name. it was working the last four hours with problems and now its gone mad

my machine hardware is

asus m2n-mx mother board

cpu is amd athlon dual core processor

ram 2 gb ddr2

harddrive

320gb

80 gb

graphics cards is

integrated nvidia geforce tm 6100 graphics processing unit

Govo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2008, 10:13:37 pm »

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 04:58:03 pm »
I don't have my box up yet, so I have nothing to compare your logs to.  Can someone with a system that is currently running RC1 take a look at Govo's system logs, and possibly shed some light on the problem.
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3