Author Topic: Downloading the DL DVD for 0710b4  (Read 4479 times)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
Downloading the DL DVD for 0710b4
« on: April 04, 2008, 06:32:58 pm »
I have tried a number of times to download the b4 version of the software, but have been unsucessful.  The DL DVD download in most instances indicate that the file is not on the server or page cannot be found.  Is there any other location or download to get these ISO's?

Rukus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Downloading the DL DVD for 0710b4
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 06:36:11 pm »
Have you tried downloading the torrent?  That worked for me.
Core/Generic Hybrid MD
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core
GPU: GPU: XFX PVT84GUDF3 GeForce 8600 GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:43:15 am »
It would really be nice if there were an UPGRADE section, that discussed downloading problems, boot problems, mirrors and so on.  I've downloaded every DVD, CD and hit all of the mirrors and have just completely had a ton of problems with disk reads.  I've used a number of different computers include a brand new Toshiba Laptop with a DL DVD burner in it and just can't get these files to download right.  Thanks for your help, I'll come back in a month to see if there are new versions and mirrors that will work for me.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:19:50 am »
You didn't listen to underfunded - if you are hitting "mirrors" then you are obviously not trying the torrent, as suggested. I have downloaded 0704, 0710b2,3&4, DVD and CD versions and never once had any problems whatsoever. You have the suggestion.... up to you to try it :)

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 05:08:36 am »
So maybe my mistake was not adding this information to my post.  I've downloaded CD's, DVD's, DL DVD's, the torrents which took up half a week to do.   Maybe what he said I should have responded to first.  I've also downloaded 0704 with no problem, booted it from my system and it worked just as I hoped and I'm still learning. 

From my core I've tried the upgrade deb file and I get the download prompt which indicates that its on my desktop (nothing).  I also downloaded the same gutsy .deb file to a cd and executed via the Kubuntu Package Menu installer and it put the file on my desktop.  When clicked, NUTHING, ZIPPO the same affect when I click on it via the website.

So back to my sugesstion, Frankly I'm just not very savy about blogs, discussion forums and all those community gathering holes.  But one thing that makes the really good ones stand out is making the information "easier" to find by building a categorized collaboration site.  I'm the last person to sit on this place and want to bore any of you with meaningless questions, as I see hundreds of the same questions being asked (that usually is a sign that information is hard to find), and as usual, someone responds with HEY LISTEN STUPID intro that probably turns them away.

I listened, but it still does not work.

Thanks to any of you that has an idea of what I MAY be doing wrong and as usual, your sugesstions are always appreciated.

Regards,

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 02:28:27 pm »
And now even after half your life-story we still don't know what the actual problem is...

Please read this: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way, before you continue.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 12:39:00 am »
Agreed with Zaerc! I have read your first post and the second sentence of your last post, Marper, several times and I still cannot work out if you have actually downloaded the torrent or not. Have you tried downloading beta4 by the torrent? As Zaerc pointed out, if we don't understand what your problem is, how can we help you?

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:13:47 am »
Colinjones - Thx - I appreciate your response.  I have downloaded the Torrents using BitTorent to do so.  However, after the files are burned to media I cannot boot from them.  The error I am getting is:  ISOLinux 3.36 Disk Error 20, AX = 4280 next line:  Boot Failure.  I've attempted to download on many different systems, at work, home and have asked my Linux Admin to do same and non of the disks will boot.  I've also tried the gutsy upgrade link on different site locations as well as downloading.

As a last effort to resolve these issues and after looking / reading many posts in other forums about disk boot/disk burn problems, I've reloaded 0704 clean, wiping all of my original config first and then install.  Not sure where to go from here.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 12:56:28 am »
Its unlikely that the download is corrupted as BT clients checksum each piece that they download/upload, but you can use an MD5 hash checker to confirm for absolutely certain that it is not corrupted - there are plenty of references to the checksums and the tool on the wiki, download sites and this forum. If they match, then rule out the download as the issue.

Sounds like you have burned the image correctly otherwise you wouldn't see the Linux boot error. Don't focus on the OS that is installed on the system when you boot - you do not need anything on the system to install, everything is on the DVD, so it isn't relevant, it just overwrites whatever is already on the system disk anyway (whether it is Windows, Linux, or anything else).

Only other thing I can think of is a hardware compatibility issue between Linux and the PC(s) you are using.

Checksum first, rule out the download....

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 01:26:41 am »
Thank you very much and I will take those steps this weekend.  Have a good one.

Marper

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008, 02:40:29 am »
ColinJones - thanks for your assistance. 

When I burned the DVD at a lower speed, that did the trick.