Author Topic: Network is unreachable (Was Cannot initialize plug-in...)  (Read 13540 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Network is unreachable (Was Cannot initialize plug-in...)
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 05:49:53 pm »
Weird. Pluto should have taken an address from the DHCP server and if it could not do that at install time, it would have asked you to input that data manually, so there's no real way the Pluto system would have decided on its own to use your provider's DNS IP address.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 06:24:32 pm »
Obviously there's something going wrong during install.  I've done several installs, same thing happened every time.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 07:10:51 pm »
Try this:

At install time, disconnect the network cable until it passed the DHCP autodiscovery phase and then plug it back in. Then, input the network parameters by hand. I can find some time to discover what goes wrong with DHCP if this works.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 09:32:35 pm »
Fortunately, I haven't actually done anything with the linux that I installed, so I guess I can wipe it out.  If get some time tonight, I can try installing Pluto again.  This will be about the 6th install.  :cry:   Any idea how far into the install it does the DHCP access?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 09:42:02 pm »
To be safe, just disconnect the machine's network until you reach that step and it asks you about IP address. This step is in stage 1, after you booted the CD, before the partitioning.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 10:14:35 pm »
Got it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 01:35:22 pm »
CD portion of the install is finished.  It's going through the stuff that happens after the CD is ejected.  I manually set the address to 192.168.1.110 at the suggested time and then plugged in the cable.  The install seems to be going well and I'm able to ping the address from other machines on this network.  Still waiting for the install to finish.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 01:49:26 pm »
AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG :x  :x  :x  :x  :x

Here's what happened.  

Install finished fine.  I rebooted when asked and everything appeared to be going ok.  I could still ping from other machines.  Sometime during the boot, ping no longer worked.  When the boot finally completed, the IP address reported on the DCERouter status screen is: 24.25.5.150.  I know for a FACT that I entered this as the DNS address during install.  There's a bug somewhere in the code that's confusing the real IP address with that of the DNS.  During install I chose core, no DHCP server.

Meanwhile, MH is working great on my Windows machine!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2005, 01:54:54 pm »
Oh boy. This is going to be hard to track down... since it actually works for everybody else (including us).

Under these circumstanced, I have to ask:
How willing are you to help solve this problem?
How good are you with MySQL, vim/nano/a console text editor, Linux? (MySQL knowledge isn't really needed if I go into the system).

Because, if you're not fed up yet, and Pluto is still on that machine, I can guide you to manually set the networking back and enable remote assistance so I can get into the machine and understand what's going on.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2005, 03:15:56 pm »
I'll do what I can to help.  Pluto is still on the system.  While I'm far from a Linux expert, if you tell me the files and changes I can make them.  I've never done anything with MySQL.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2005, 06:27:21 pm »
The file you have to change is /etc/network/interfaces . It's contents at this point should be self-explanatory, but in any event, it should look something like this:
Code: [Select]
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 1.1.1.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 1.1.1.1

The 1.1.1.1 and 1.1.1.2 IPs are samples here.

After you saved this file, run this
/etc/init.d/networking restart

Also check that in your /etc/resolv.conf file you have the correct nameserver:
nameserver 1.1.1.3

This should get your network online (until you reboot, since the actual settings are in the datbase).

To allow me access into the system you have to enable Remote Assistance. There are two ways to do this:
1. from the Pluto Admin website, go to Wizard -> Security -> Outside access, tick the "Allow Pluto tech support temporary access using this password" checkbox, write the password twice and click Update
2. from the console, run /usr/pluto/bin/RA.sh and follow the instructions

After you enabled this, send me your installation number and the password you wrote in there to this address: radu.c _at_ plutohome.com

Tell me if the system is going to be online all the time, or just in a certain hour interval so I can sync.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2005, 02:46:33 am »
Here's what I found (and fixed):
Interfaces:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
auto 24.25.5.150
  iface 24.25.5.150 inet static
     address 24.25.5.150
     netmask 24.25.5.150
     gateway 24.25.5.150

Resolver file was correct.  And I finally have a Pluto admin screen on another system!!!  YAY!!!

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 02:03:49 pm »
Fixed in SVN, revision 6366.