Author Topic: A couple questions getting started...  (Read 2206 times)

jtgamble

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
A couple questions getting started...
« on: March 31, 2008, 05:18:56 am »
Hello,

I've been looking for a good MC/DVR solution for a while now, and just ran across LinuxMCE. From what I've seen so far it looks to be by far the best thing I've come across yet. I do have a few questions though.

First, here is what I'm looking for in a system. First and foremost, I want to set up something to be a DVR/MC as well as a file server for my home. I want to record SD and HD content from cable. I want all content to be accessible from all my computers (some of which are Windows machines.)

I'm sure that the SD recording is a go. The HD I am not sure about however. As long as I have a TV-Tuner card that can handle an HD signal I should be able to record correct?

As for the file server part, I'm planning on setting up a fairly large RAID-5 array. Is there any reason I  shouldn't/can't use MCE as a file server? Again, it will also be used largely with Windows machines. That would also answer my question about files being accessible to my windows machines.

I'm also curious what is thought about the Fiire systems. Whether or not I use one of their Core (they call them engine?) systems, I would really like to get their extenders simply because of their size! (I want to bolt them to the back of my TV's to save space and because the wife doesn't like having computers everywhere.) Do you think they are good? Bad? Simply so-so? Info on both their core and extender systems would be much appreciated.

Oh, one final thing - is it possible to use wireless connections to stream the content? I wouldn't use wireless for a live HD feed or anything, but we do have several laptops that I would consider putting MCE on.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'd prefer the use of HDMI. Doesn't look like Fiire has that, but since their store is down ATM I can't confirm.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 08:07:07 pm by jtgamble »