Author Topic: This Community will Fail and LMCE will be forgotten.  (Read 10870 times)

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: This Community will Fail and LMCE will be forgotten.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 12:28:50 pm »
Hi,

I'll jsut try to add some thoughts about picture viewer.... I'm finally using UI2 with Fiirechief and custom photos. We particularly like this feature in our family. We can also already start music and then leave only screen saver on screen - so we can view photos with audio background....

and IMHO we have this feature (at least under UI2) practically implemented - we just need to start screen saver from play all button with all pictures in current directory tree.....

I'm some times nearer inclusion of mythtv, but then again, it's ui looks different, it doesn't work with Gyro, etc... I think solution above might be better and more LMCE's native...

Regards,

Bulek.

Bulek your right of course... its a nice solution that works right now :-)

Andrew

Yeap, there is only one minor thing missing: to be able to start photo screen saver from "Play all" button with all photos in current directory and its subtree... I guess only small enhancement is missing to have that feature quite quickly...

Regards,

Bulek.

Right!... thats an interesting idea... Hmmm
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

andymck

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 01:22:35 pm »

> and IMHO we have this feature (at least under UI2) practically implemented - we just need to start screen saver
> from play all button with all pictures in current directory tree.....

I also think that would be a great way to go, all in under the existing lmce UI and being able to select a specific directory and or sub directory would be perfect...At home here my wife organises all our digital photos, sets them into monthly directory,then sub directories that give a description....i.e.  Dad's birthday party 07....and under there a batch of photos....being able to go in and see that structure and select a play all from a particular directory would be just perfect.

> I'm some times nearer inclusion of mythtv, but then again, it's ui looks different, it doesn't work with Gyro, etc...
> I think solution above might be better and more LMCE's native...

Agree, i will probably still look at the myth gallery plugin myself as it looks like a good start to perhaps getting involved in some little way...

Andy

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 04:48:30 pm »
DanielK, thanks for the response and you make some interesting points and i do fully appreciate that this is a young project.  The idea of the MythGallery plugin sounds like a good route to go and I would be happy to look at this.  I have absolutely no real idea how the inards of myth or lmce works but i will give it a go.  At the moment i am flat out with a deadline at work but i could start over the weekend.  If you can send me some info re setting it up to be installed by default that would be appreciated.

Andy, after reading Thom's suggestion I think that is actually a better route. I'll fix the picture size issue in the screen saver and that code will be usable in the new media plugin Thom is working on. Basically, the limit right now is just because the screen saver uses a small texture by default to work on more hardware with very simple OpenGL code. But 1/ modern cards support larger textures, you just need to check that they support em before you use em, and 2/ it is not difficult to break a large picture up into several textures for less capable hardware.

Re the lmce tags, i am using these currently but when you have a lot of similar media for instance tv shows, it can be a very mundane process setting each one by one.  I dont know of a quicker way to do this....but even with the tags set trying to jump to a particular episode can still be fiddly, whereas with a directory structure you can jump straight to where you need to go.

So if I understand correctly, the tags would work for you if there were an automated way to assign them. This should actually be doable with many XMLTV grabbers and with Schedules Direct data. While this isn't on the top of my TODO list this is certainly something we should add to the feature request wiki article..

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 12:31:23 am »
Re the lmce tags, i am using these currently but when you have a lot of similar media for instance tv shows, it can be a very mundane process setting each one by one.  I dont know of a quicker way to do this....
This is one of my pet peeves so I'm working on a new media manager.  Basically the user will define a filter that selects a set of media.  Next the user selects one or more actions to be performed on the selected media.  I'm hoping for an alpha release this next week.  I'm currently redoing the UI to use RESTful routes, which should permit scripting (think cron jobs).

Have fun,
Roy