Author Topic: MythTV/PVR Setup - Is this the best way to do it.  (Read 4007 times)

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
MythTV/PVR Setup - Is this the best way to do it.
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:31:05 pm »
I've got MythTV/PVR working fine with my Comcast cable box but the obvious limitation is that due to the fact the tuning is done by the cable box, I can't record one show and watch another.

Here's what I think I'm going to try.  Setup 2 tuners and 2 cable boxes on my Core, using one for recording and one for viewing.

Is this the best way to do this?

Will I be able to setup scenarios for each box on my MD's?  i.e. "Cable" and "Recorder"?

Thanks.

radmofo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: MythTV/PVR Setup - Is this the best way to do it.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:42:00 pm »

Yes, you can connect two tuners and a seperate stb to each one. then you will be able to record a program and watch another as well as record two programs simultaneously and view as many other prerecorded programs as you have MD's.

You wont have to worry about which one is for recording and which one is for viewing LMCE will figure that out for you, so basically if you are recording two programs and select "TV" it will tell you that all available inputs are in use. So therefor go to recordings menu choice and watch one of the in progress recordings. You could FF it to LIVE TV (but then you have to watch commercials) YUK! And if only one tuner is recording and you selct "TV" it will automatically select the free tuner for live tv viewing.

Have fun.

grepico

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:02:55 pm »
Awesome! Thx.

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 10:32:50 pm »
I've got MythTV/PVR working fine with my Comcast cable box but the obvious limitation is that due to the fact the tuning is done by the cable box, I can't record one show and watch another.

Here's what I think I'm going to try.  Setup 2 tuners and 2 cable boxes on my Core, using one for recording and one for viewing.

Is this the best way to do this?

Will I be able to setup scenarios for each box on my MD's?  i.e. "Cable" and "Recorder"?

Thanks.

Can you give me a quick rundown of how you got the comcast box to work??  Much appreciated.  Thanks.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:33:50 am »
A wiki page would be even nicer.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

ytuxedo002

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:16:20 am »
A wiki page would be even nicer.

Anybody know if he hooked it up with a wiki??  Getting my system ready to intall, would like to know how this was done.

Thanks