Author Topic: USB-UIRT beta4 i386 - Pretends to Work!!! (Mostly Resolved)  (Read 5049 times)

seth

• Guru
  • A day w/o LinuxMCE is like a day w/o sunshine!
    • View Profile
USB-UIRT beta4 i386 - Pretends to Work!!! (Mostly Resolved)
« on: March 14, 2008, 12:47:08 pm »
 >:(
OK. So I downloaded the cd install of beta4. I waited the eternity for it to finish up. After I get up and running, I add in my Dish Network receiver, learn all the appropriate codes, and let Sarah set up my MythTV. OK. So far no issues. Replace the MythtTV_PLayer as described in the wiki, for the fix. Now, I go to watch TV. I try to change the channel, I hit 122 (SciFi) the USB-UIRT blinks 3 times as if it is doing it's bit. The TV pauses briefly, and then..... Nothing happens!

Now I figure I learned the codes incorrectly, so I redo the learning procedure, and try again, and no dice.

I noticed this issue with beta3 DVD install, after installing the beta3 AMD64 DVD, My USB-UIRT works flawlessly. Is this an i386 bug?

Where should I look (logs) to see what is happening? I kind of thought that it was going to do this, but spent the time downloading the i386 version anyways.

I am confuzzled. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:50:29 pm by seth »
".....Because Once you've LinuxMCE'd....."
System stats located at my user page:

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Seth

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: USB-UIRT beta4 i386 - Pretends to Work!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 03:46:46 pm »
Sorry if this question sounds fool, but I have a similar problem, I'm a complete newbe on LMCE

did you try the test code when you set up the Template for the divice? it worked there?
in my case I cant send anything from the internal emitters of the usb-uirt and I also have the 7.10 b4 i386

I'll try the AMD64 today and post the results.

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 04:05:04 pm »
No. The test codes did not work. I think it must be a bug using i386 (x86) on an AMD64 CPU/Motherboard set up. With beta3, the USB-UIRT acted exactly the same way, as it is now. It programs perfectly, and even responds to input, but it just didn't change any channels. As soon as I updated/upgraded to the AMD64 version, it worked flawlessly.

I am also going to get the AMD64 dvd/cd set, and try it for beta4. But I still would like to know why it did not work.

I will post my results here as well.

Thanks for looking,

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 04:47:41 pm »
Ok great to know I'm not the only one with this issue.
Just an update:

I connect an external emitter on it (those little bugs) and it sends the codes without a problem only throw the external one.
I even used my camcorder to see if it sends something on the front led  but nothing only the visible red flashes.

i didn't test it yet on a AMD64 but I'll keep the post

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 04:56:47 pm »
So, with the dongle, it works on i386? This is good news. I have not tried that yet. I will do so when I get home tonight!

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 05:06:25 pm »
Yes , But the problem is that the range of those things is very short you have to stick it to the device's reciver and that way you can control only one device.

cesarscav

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 07:19:33 pm »
It works !!!!
on AMD64 it works !!!!!

new Installation AMD64 same hardware

Semptron 4300 64b
 asRok Mainboard

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 02:08:03 am »
 ;D
I figured it would. Same bug as beta3. I came home tonight, plugged in one of the dongles, and bingo, now my channels change just like they are supposed to. And I am still running the i386 version. Looks as though we were both successful.

Now to find out why the onboard blaster does not work.....

Glad it worked out for you, thanks for keeping me up to date  ;D

Laters.

seth

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: USB-UIRT beta4 i386 - Pretends to Work!!!(Mostly Resolved)
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:49:15 pm »
OK. I went home, plugged in a homebrew dongle to the back of the USB-UIRT, and shazam! Now it is controlling the Dish Network box flawlessly. So, if you use one of these, use the blaster dongle.

But the issue still remains, that w/the AMD64 installation, and the power of the onboard transmitter, the dongle is not needed. It even blasts around corners. With that said, there is still an underlying issue, with the i386 (x86) version, that limits the functionality of the USB-UIRT. Dongles are great, and have flawless execution, but why does the onboard only work with AMD64??

Even so, the implication of the dongles resolved this issue, for now.

Thanks for reading!  ;D

diesel12

• View Profile
Re: USB-UIRT beta4 i386 - Pretends to Work!!! (Mostly Resolved)
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 03:10:29 am »
Mine seems to be the opposite. It was only working with the main uirt transmitter on the front, and not the external...

I was surprised at how close the IR blaster needed to be to control my AV receiver.