Author Topic: K9NGM3 Media Director  (Read 3099 times)

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
K9NGM3 Media Director
« on: March 09, 2008, 04:18:45 am »
I 've been trying to use a K9NGM3 as a diskless Media Director using the HDMI output connected to a Sharp LC 37D62U LCD.  During setup, the picture is set off to one side and bottom in such a way setup cannot be completed.  Adding an regular lcd monitor allows me to go through setup, but I cannot move the picture on the sharp to the middle of the lcd tv screen.  Any suggestions?

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: K9NGM3 Media Director
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 08:04:58 am »
I didn't have any video issues when I tested my K9NGM3 against my LG L246WP monitor in HDMI 1080p mode.  There is a note that HMDI display must be powered on before powering on K9NGM3.  The only issue I had was I could not get audio on the HDMI connector.  This was with 0710B3.  I'm going to try B4 this next week after my new HMDI TV arrives.

HTH,
Roy

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:20:29 pm »
I'm happy for you, but it doesn't help me much.  The screen is a Sharp Aquous.  I've tried every settings given in the MD setup.  The default settings for hdmi produces a smaller than full screen size and cuts off the bottom of the setup window.  Any other settings results in a completely unusable result.    I've tried every setting  I have deleted the MD from the core and reinstalled being sure that the Sharp was on during reinstall.  I've had not success.   

cliff

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 04:30:46 am »
Apparently the Sharp Aquous and the K9NGM3.  I've noticed that the Sharp automatically recognizes the computer input as 1024 x 768.  Upon starting the diskless setup, any choice of a resolution setting (including 1024 x 768) during diskless setup results in the Sharp's screen showing the setup screen  pushed far to one side and and well short of the top and bottom.  A black frame appears on one the left side and top and bottom.  The "OK" button on the setup screens is not visible since it would be below where the picture ends, well short of the bottom of the screen.  I have tried setting the output values in bios to both of the NTSC settings neither made a difference.  Any choice of resolution or Hz setting results in an image that presents the setup screen as broken up in to "splinters" breaking the screen up into multiple, but unreadable overlayed partial copies of the setup menu.  I am using the HDMI output.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:56:34 am »
On the sharpusa.com web site I could not find a manual for the 37D62U, but looked at the closest I could find, the 42D62U.

From your description I was wondering if maybe the TV didn't support HDCP, but it does.  I couldn't find what version of HDCP & HDMI so can't confirm compatibility.

The manual does have a table of supported video modes (PC format compatibility chart).  As a last resort you may have to fiddle with xorg.conf and these frequencies.  You really shouldn't if you are using 1080p.

One interesting note under "Input Signal (for PC format)" where it says you may need to select between 1024g768 and 1360g768 under MENU, Setup, Input Signal as the TV can not auto-distinguish between them.

You might want to try different "View Mode (for PC format)" to see if you can find a usable mode.

You probably have already tried this, but maybe just try repositioning the image (MENU, Setup, Position).  In the same line of thought, there should be a Troubleshooting appendix with a "Picture is cut off/with sidebar screen" problem.

If you haven't already, try a different input source to the TV (eliminate the possibility that the problem is with the TV).

You might want to try plugging in a VGA monitor to the K9NGM3's VGA port in addition to having the TV hooked to the HDMI port.  The AV Setup Wizard will display on the VGA monitor until you get to the point of trying the display modes.  In truth, this is the way I always setup a system.

HTH,
Roy

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:20:17 pm »
Sounds like you'll have to set up the "modelines" manually, see: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers#Refresh_rate_.2F_ModeLine for more information.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous