Author Topic: Adding a drive after the fact to the core  (Read 3058 times)

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Adding a drive after the fact to the core
« on: March 08, 2008, 12:26:45 am »
While moving things around and getting ready to have all this fun with LinuxMCE, I had an external I/O Magic 500GB USB Drive that has worked fine, but after I powered it down, moved it 4 feet, and powered it back up, it just sat there with the pretty blue light on the front blinking. Today I thought I would figure out what to do with that drive as it had all our photos, music and movies on it.

By asking "the google" I found others had similar problems. The drive either started working again magically or was toast. Fun.

I decided to remove the drive completely from it's "box" and connect it directly to an old machine via IDE cables, boot up into Puppy Linux off CD and see if the drive was alive.

And what a stroke of good luck, it was! Yippie! So I used a samba client and mounted the public directory on the core and proceeded to copy my photos and music and a few videos to the core.

Now that I've rescued what I need off the drive (all my other movies are backed up to DVD) I'm wondering where to put it, and I'm thinking, put it in the core!

The "core" has a 250GB Sata Drive and Sata DVD-Burner.

If I take the 500GB IDE drive, format it as EXT3, can I plug that into the core and use it? Will kubuntu automatically detect it or do I need to just mount it manually (which I'm capable of doing and adding add an entry to fstab).

I was going to put it into my HP Pavilllion but there's no room for it, so the core sounds like a good place.

I have another idea of which machine to put the drive in, but I'll ask that in a different post.

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adding a drive after the fact to the core
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:18:00 am »
While moving things around and getting ready to have all this fun with LinuxMCE, I had an external I/O Magic 500GB USB Drive that has worked fine, but after I powered it down, moved it 4 feet, and powered it back up, it just sat there with the pretty blue light on the front blinking. Today I thought I would figure out what to do with that drive as it had all our photos, music and movies on it.

By asking "the google" I found others had similar problems. The drive either started working again magically or was toast. Fun.

I decided to remove the drive completely from it's "box" and connect it directly to an old machine via IDE cables, boot up into Puppy Linux off CD and see if the drive was alive.

And what a stroke of good luck, it was! Yippie! So I used a samba client and mounted the public directory on the core and proceeded to copy my photos and music and a few videos to the core.

Now that I've rescued what I need off the drive (all my other movies are backed up to DVD) I'm wondering where to put it, and I'm thinking, put it in the core!

If I take the 500GB IDE drive, format it as EXT3, can I plug that into the core and use it? Will kubuntu automatically detect it or do I need to just mount it manually (which I'm capable of doing and adding add an entry to fstab).

I was going to put it into my HP Pavilllion but there's no room for it, so the core sounds like a good place.

I have another idea of which machine to put the drive in, but I'll ask that in a different post.

What a coincidence - two people asking the same thing at the same time. Go here, if you haven't already found it:

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=4551.0
Best Regards,
Richard

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: Adding a drive after the fact to the core
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 12:41:38 pm »

Once you have reformatted the to ext3 and installed it into you core... boot your core up. Once the Orbiter loads you should see a screen pop up that announces the detection of the new drive, add it and decide if you want the Core to automatically use the new drive for storage or only use it when specified by you and finally whether it should be 'Public' or not... then your all set to use it ;-)

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk