Author Topic: Where do you copy public media files to?  (Read 2298 times)

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Where do you copy public media files to?
« on: March 07, 2008, 06:55:49 pm »
My external USB 500GB drive has failed, but after tearing it out of the case and connecting it directly via IDE on a barebones box, and booting with Puppy Linux, I'm able to 'mount' the drive in read-only mode and see all my media that I thought we had just lost. I'm able to either FTP this data out or use a Samba Share client.

My question is, where do I copy the music, photos, and movies on the LinuxMCE core? and what username should I use.

Anybody?

freymann

• Douchebag
  • Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you copy public media files to?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 07:10:25 pm »
I originally logged into the core using the linuxmce username and password and started to copy up some music and then got an out of disk space error message! ug!

So I deleted all that stuff (it wasn't much) and disconnected, and reconnected using my admin page username and password.

Now I think I have the correct paths and I'm trying to reupload some mp3's into the public audio folder. Must be doing better as it hasn't quit with an out of disk space error message. Neat.

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you copy public media files to?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 08:32:36 pm »
Sounds like you found the answer.
Code: [Select]
/home/public/data
/home/user_1/data
/home/user_2/data
extra (2nd or more hard drives) or external drives (NFS, CIFS, samba) are at:
/mnt/device/NN/public/data
/mnt/device/NN/user_1/data
where NN is the device id.  These are auto mount devices so the device id may not show up initially.  If you list  one of the data sub-directories you can see the device IDs.

Example:
linuxmce@dcerouter:~$ ls /mnt/device
linuxmce@dcerouter:~$ ls /home/public/data/videos/
Internal HDD-CORE (sdb1) [34]  NFS Media 1 [36]  tv_shows_0  tv_shows_1  tv_shows_42
linuxmce@dcerouter:~$ ls /mnt/device/34
lost+found  public  user_1  user_2
linuxmce@dcerouter:~$ ls /mnt/device
34  36

Ownership should be root:public
linuxmce@dcerouter:~$ ls -l /home/public/data/videos/Internal\ HDD-CORE\ \(sdb1\)\ \[34\]/Science\ Fiction/The\ Matrix.*
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root public 8393392128 2008-01-08 19:33 /home/public/data/videos/Internal HDD-CORE (sdb1) [34]/Science Fiction/The Matrix.dvd
-rw-r--r-- 1 root public      18432 2008-02-19 02:41 /home/public/data/videos/Internal HDD-CORE (sdb1) [34]/Science Fiction/The Matrix.dvd.id3
That's why you need to sudo to copy the media.

Have fun,
Roy