Author Topic: DHCP woes  (Read 2646 times)

mfacer

• View Profile
DHCP woes
« on: March 07, 2008, 02:56:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I've been playing about with Linux MCE and am liking it very much. I've now got to the stage where I'm setting up some media directors in other rooms. I have followed guides (wiki) on how to do this, but it still won't work properly.

I have in the core, two network cards.

ADSL ROUTER (192.168.0.1)
    -> CORE networkcard 1 (external 192.168.0.2)
    -> CORE networkcard 2 (internal 192.168.80.1)
              -> router
                     -> PC1 (192.168.80.20 manually assigned)
                     -> PC2 (192.168.80.21 manually assigned)
                     -> Laptop

The manually assigned IP addresses work fine. They connect to the network and can use the internet (All be it very sluggish!?) - the laptop will not get an IP address from the core. It's on the same network but with the settings set to auto get IP address. It's a corporate one so I cannot assign manually. When I do "ipconfig /renew" I get the message "An error occurred while renewing interface... unable to contact your DHCP server".

On the admin settings on the core, it's definately set to use DHCP server, and the DHCP is off on the ADSL router.

I doing something wrong??!

thanks for any help!!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: DHCP woes
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:17:21 pm »
Is your core by any chance connected to the WAN port of your router? (not the adsl one).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

mfacer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:26:30 pm »
It's connected to a normal port. I have a netgear FVS 318 which I use for the router. The cable from the ADSL goes in to the Core... then the other network card is plugged in to the router as a normal PC is. This has worked OK for the ADSL DHCP before.... so not sure why it would be any different?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 04:37:55 pm »
Can you paste the output of the /sbin/ifconfig -a command (run from terminal window on the core) in here?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

mfacer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 06:32:01 pm »
I couldn't get the machine to boot again after all this - so I've decided to reinstall 0704 (then hopefully later update to the beta4 release) - I'll let you know if the problem persists. Many thanks.

nswint

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 08:02:34 pm »
Have you tried swapping the interfaces on the admin page?