Author Topic: Building from Source  (Read 2262 times)

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Building from Source
« on: March 06, 2008, 05:14:14 am »
I'm not entirely sure what my question is here, but I will make an attempt to ask one.

First, I had to recompile from source to fix a previous problem with MythTV.  I successfully compiled the binary I needed and fixed my problem.  Although, now i'm attempting to fix another problem.  I already made the change in the code, thats not my problem.  My problem, is the component i'm modifying is the MythTV_Plugin source.  I understand it builds a .so library I need.  This library file is missing from the bin directory after the build completes.  I haven't tried to rebuild while grepping or monitoring the output for errors relating to that part of the build process.  Thats not exactly my question either, I can debug code and compilation problems.... I think my question is... which is which?  In the wiki, there is a reference to http://svn.charonmedia.org/svn/trunk/ but I saw somewhere else (can't remember where) this link http://svn.linuxmce.org/pluto/trunk.  The charonmedia one contains all the configure scripts and makefile's needed in the trunk/ folder.  The latter mentioned at linuxmce.org does not.  Therefore i'm confused.  The source I get at charonmedia works out of the box, with some errors, but it still compiles the majority of lmce.  I am trying to clarify this, because before I actually start debugging massive compilation errors and why I can't get the plugin library compiled,  I want to make sure I have the updated propper source code to my version.

so I think my question is this...

am I doing this all wrong?  is there a propper way I don't know of, and just maybe the article's i'm reading are old and not updated? 
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Re: Building from Source
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 05:42:35 am »
Not really a "user" question, you should move this to the Developers forum.

Charonmedia is/was the original svn source for the public LinuxMCE project setup by one of the forum members (I think, can't remember who).

Linuxmce.org is essentially what Pluto (the developers of the commercial version of LMCE, who then opened the source under GPL and PPL, etc) have agreed to expose of their own internal trunk. They are sponsoring the FOSS version by helping provide build/forum/wiki servers. This is one of them - the guys are in the process of moving from Charonmedia to Linuxmce.org so there will be a common code base. Pluto will presumably still have their own bit on the side that is proprietary, but the rest will be shared, from what I understand. But there seem to be a number of logistical/technical issues getting the 2 merged, which is probably why it seems a little fragmentary at the moment.

From memory, I believe the intent at the moment is to get 0710 Release out the door, then complete the task of merging the 2....

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Building from Source
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:32:06 am »
Ah, I see, thank you...
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem