Author Topic: Core Server keeps freezing  (Read 4555 times)

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Core Server keeps freezing
« on: February 27, 2008, 04:59:57 am »
Does anyone else encounter this problem? Every so often my core server decides to freeze on me, and I have to go to the basement to reset it. The keyboard lights flash on the core, and the system is unresponsive, and the monitor is typically off (as if it is not receiving a signal). Once I do a hard reboot, it's all fine and dandy again. I never had this issue in 7.04.
Anyone else? I wonder if it is my hardware... I know people will ask me to post what I have, so I will dig that up and append. As for now I am just wondering if this is just happening to me.

rafik24

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Core Server keeps freezing
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:08:03 pm »
 This happens to me every 2 weeks approximately, i've looked all over the place and i can't find
a thing in the logs nor a core dump so i guess it's hardware related.

troubleshooting those kind of issues is a pain in the b***

rafik

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 08:28:59 pm »
On mine, I think it was thermal related, probably the north bridge.  I changed airflow in the case and the problem has practically gone away.  But also shortly thereafter I changed the router the internal port was connected to as it was definitely causing problems with NFS.

I recommend verifying fans are spinning when it locks up, then removing the dust from the interior, then maybe even adding or replacing fans with high airflow fans.

HTH,
Roy

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 08:32:20 pm »
mine to nearly every day
but mostly becuase everything slows to crawl
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:28:36 pm »
Well, unfortunately I hadnt been examining my system when it locksup i.e. check the fans if they are running (i think they are). I usually just hop on down and reset it.

Well this is the second time that the system wont start anymore after locking up.
As I load it punts me into this screen about the hard drive having errors, begins to check it, gets to about 34% then says something about failing and attempts to run a few commands that are apparently not recognized. I wish I wrote it all down, but I pulled the HD and am trying to back up some video files before I reinstall. I was running 7.10 beta 3, but I guess I might as well upgrade to beta 4 now. If this keeps happening this is going to be problematic. The next time I will be more thorough with the errors it gives me. Is there a log somewhere that everything is written to?

My exact symptoms are:
After a few days to weeks of use, the internet goes down. I go check the core, and voila, it is locked up. Frozen on an image from the screen save from flickr, the keyboard light is flashing, and the computer is unresponsive. I hard reset, and usually it boots up ok, sometimes after it runs a hard drive check.

I am wondering if it is my hard drives that are over heating. This is frustrating. Maybe someone has some suggestions for a very very stable core config. >.<

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 02:20:44 am »
I'm having severe problems with freezing, but it really doesn't have anything to do with LMCE... well except for one ushare bug... if you have a recursive symlink (/home/data pointing to /home, for example) ushare doesn't know how to handle it so it just fills the memory and effectively freezes the computer (this bug is filed in Mantis).

My main problems are diverse. I had some electrical problems, some MB problems, some video card problems. And now I'm having an HD problem (one of my HD's in my 4 disc RAID array is failing after being on for a period of time). That disc is serves my /home partition so if it fails the computer is lost (the linux savy should now know why I had a problem with ushare)... I must of done some seriously bad shit in a past life...

The point I'm trying to get at is random freezing can mean anything... and I mean ANYTHING! You should look at /var/log/messages and maybe keep an ssh session open (on another computer) running top. That would allow you to see if there is any process that decides to go 100% and lock up the computer just before it freezes.

If you have multiple HD's then cooling is a problem. This isn't mentioned much as most people don't have many HD's in their computer. BUT, if you have something like 4-5 HD's in your computer it is raising the temperature of your entire system! it is very important to at least have a powerful fan cooling them and at best have them water cooled. It may not be your HD that fails, but the extra heat could cause your MB or CPU to fail!

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:34:58 am »
I was using the 64bit switch to i386 now much more stable. And there are definate known issues running lmce 64 bit on intel.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 02:48:52 pm by tkmedia »
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

MANDINGO

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 03:53:45 am »
My system freezes also and i know its not a hardware issue because Kubuntu runs fine when installed by its self.....
For a Current List of Plug and Play Capture Cards/Devices
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Capture_Cards

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 06:27:08 am »
Well I think I may have figured out the problem, unless my setup caused this problem. what do I mean?... Well I went down to look at my core yesterday when I couldnt access the admin site, and turned out my harddrive decided to stop working. damn maxtors. Good thing it is still underwarranty (didnt realize I could still return it to maxtor within 3 years or so to get a replacement minus shipping my old drive).
Anyway, lucky me I didnt have anything precious on the drive.

So that may have been the culprit to the freezing and the eventual need for me to keep reloading linuxMCE (4th time). I was having problems with the core
freezing... freezing...freezing...freezing, not loading Reinstall.
freezing... freezing...freezing...freezing, not loading. Reinstall onto a new hard drive
freezing... freezing...freezing...freezing, not loading. Reinstall
freezing... freezing...freezing...freezing, not loading. Reinstall.
freezing... freezing...freezing...freezing, not loading. Reinstall.
freezing... freezing...freezing...freezing, not loading. hardrive is dead.Reinstall onto an older IDE 80 gb drive (i know this one has worked for a long time, previous drives above were SATA. A Western digital, and a Maxtor-the one that died)

We'll see. So maybe it's the AMD64, Harddrive, or Linuxmce 7.10b4, or my damn luck. I will keep updated how long this setup lasts.

hari

• Administrator
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
    • ago control
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 09:51:23 am »
My system freezes also and i know its not a hardware issue because Kubuntu runs fine when installed by its self.....
we are using the exact same kernel. If your kernel completely locks up (i'm not talking about some process going havoc) chances are 99% that you have a hardware problem.

best regards,
Hari

ps: offtopic: could you please PM me your ZWave setup and tell me what works with the ha22 and what not?
rock your home - http://www.agocontrol.com home automation