Author Topic: [SOLVED] No Media. Windows Shares Not Mounting.  (Read 14712 times)

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: No Media. Windows Shares Not Mounting.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 04:43:16 am »
omg i just tried it with a windows xp box and it works!

I didn't have an xp box to try before now, use a friends laptop with xp on it.

so i'm looking into windows vista's security policy now... because we know windows firewall is off and whatnot...

what's strange, is i'm using wireshark for windows... and wireshark shows absolutely no browser traffic whatsoever, not even blocked traffic...
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 06:42:40 am »
Just had a thought.  You may need to specify the workgroup for the mount.  I found this hint in:

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1165037

I think to do this you may need to modify the mount options in /etc/auto.PlutoStorageDevices to include a

domain=yourvistaworkgroup

Look around line 171, you should see:
Code: [Select]
## Do the mount
if [[ "$Username" == "" || "$Username" == "guest" ]] ;then
   echo "-fstype=$CIFS_FileSystem,username=guest,guest,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777$CIFS_ExtraOpts ://${IPaddress}/${Share}"
   else
      echo "-fstype=$CIFS_FileSystem,username=$Username,password=$Password,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777$CIFS_ExtraOpts ://${IPaddress}/${Share}"
   fi
add "domian=whatever" to both of the -fstype rvalues.

FYI, it looks these are the default domains:

XP = MSHOME
  Vista = WORKGROUP
  LinuxMCE = LinuxMCE

Also from reading on ubuntu forums, it looks like it is required to have a username and password when mounting vista shares.

I don't have any windoze boxes running so can't test this.

HTH,
Roy

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 06:49:58 am »
I have to use a username and password even for my XP box although the share is open access...

Wonder if Vista is enforcing SMB signing?

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 11:37:17 pm »
Coolinjones,

It's funny I am wondering the same exact thing.  As I was navigating through vista's plethora of security policies, I found in the network sharing control panel that "Password Protected File Sharing" was turned off.  In essence, making it an open share as you said.  With that in mind, I wonder is because linuxmce is specifying a username and password that vista is rejecting it.  I went to turn "Password Protected File Sharing" on, and test it again... but I had already broken my LinuxMCE box, so I have to re-install again tonite to test this.  I really need to just install vmware for all this testing and keep a copy of the image with a clean install.

BTW: I had previously enabled LM, NTLM and NTLM2 to get windows working with a different linux box so I know that wasn't an issue.  It's funny how microsoft shipped vista with ONLY NTLM2 enabled and LM, NTLM rejected by default.  As if they are imposing their so called wanna-be standards on us.  LOL on mr gates....

Royw,

I am going to try that too, I would never have thought of that, i've used linux products for over 13 years and never had to do that with previous version of windows.  Leave it to mr gates to screw all of us up...  It seems from all this troubleshooting... that my problem is all mr gates fault.  Why do I suddenly have an urge to strangle someone with the name Bill.

BTW: I changed the workgroup of all my windows boxes to "LinuxMCE" for consistancy.

Again, thanx guys, I think we are getting close... I can't wait to get home and try this, especially considering my video capture card AND my gryo mouse came in the mail today.  Woohoo....

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 11:49:57 pm »
in case my comments were not well outlined... my username/password suggestion and SMB signing are completely different issues. SMB signing is usually only something that gets turned on on a corporate network (by default from XP SP2 onwards), but I suppose it is something that could be turned on on a home XP machine if it is professional, but it seems unlikely that you could have done it by accident (unless the PC was originally on a corporate network of course) Just a thought.

I think that username/password should be the focus.... I created an account on my XP machine (user only, not admin), then entered the username and password into the correct fields in both the server device and the share device.

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Re: No Media. Windows Shares Not Mounting.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2008, 08:50:32 pm »
Ok, it works now... this is what happened.

I recieved my capture card and remote in the mail yesterday, so I was ready to go into production with the box.  I added the hardware, and re-ran the wizard.  It picked everything up, I chose to use MythTV as my PVR software... then when I tried to watch TV, it said "Cannot play this media"... so I said screw it, and decided to do one more re-install now that i've collected the last bit of hardware I plan on using in this box...

Now, with that said, I re-installed and accidentally chose the UI mode 1 with no 3d effects.  No big deal, i'll change it on next reboot right?  Ok, so the AV wizard finished, the core/md start up and present me with the second wizard that configured all my devices for me...  As I begin to go through this wizard, LinuxMCE detects my windows box as usual... and I proceed as usual.  Except there is something different here...

Previously... when I chose UI mode 3... and the second wizard fires up... and it see's my windows box... and it asks me for the username/password for the windows box... then the subsequent shares it detects after that never ask me for a username and password... I assume this is because I supplied it for the main device (windows box)...

Currently when I chose UI mode 1... and the second wizard fires up.... and it see's my windows box... it DOES NOT ask me for a username/password for the main device (windows box) instead... when it starts to see the subsequent shares, it asks me a username/password for each individual share on the windows box.  This is different than when I chose UI mode 3.

Now at this point I ask myself... "Is choosing the different UI mode really affecting the way it's detecting my shares and asking for input?" I was very skeptical, it had to be something else I did different.  So, I decided to re-install AGAIN this time choosing UI mode 3, and I recorded every single step all the way to getting a drink, and using the bathroom.... Guess what... it asks me for username/password for the file server/main device/windows box and not the subsequent shares it detects... I allow the wizard to finish and check the shares, and they are NOT mounting...

Now.. again, I re-install AGAIN... this time choosing UI mode 1... and sure enough, it DOES NOT ask me for username/password when configuring the file server/main device/windows box but instead asks me for a username/password for each subesquent share detected thereafter.

Ok, so I allow everything to finish, the shares are mounted properly and all my media is there.  So at this point I am not looking to see what is different than before.  This is what was different.

In the Admin Website...

On the top menu bar...
Advanced -> Configuration -> Devices

On the left device list.
CORE -> Windows Box
at the bottom where the two fields are labeled username/password.  My previous installation where I was choosing UI mode 3... these boxes were filled out with my username/password.  Obviously because the wizard asked me for the username/password when it detected the windows box(parent device)...

On the installation where I chose UI mode 1... these fields were blank.  Obviously because it did not ask me for a username/password when detecting the parent device (windows box).

CORE -> Windows Box -> Shares
at the bottom where the two fields are labaled username/password.  My previous installation where I was choosing UI mode 3... these boxes were blank. Obviously because it is supposed to retrieve the username/password for mounting from the parent device.

On the installation where I chose UI mode 1... these fields were filled out with my username/password. Obviously because it asked me for a username/password for each individual share it detected.

So... to sum it up... place username/password in the individual child devices (shares) instead of the parent device.  This seems to only be true for windows vista boxes, as when I connect my wife's laptop running windows XP, it works with both methods...

After properly mounting my shares and cataloging all the information, I was able to switch back to UI mode 3 and everything is fine.  It was simply a mis-configuration of the parent/child devices.  I attribute this bug to Microslop Winblowz...

But, as we all know, things are always too good to be true.  Since I made it past this milestone, I went to set my raid up again.  When I drop to command prompt to partition and format my 3 250gb drives for the raid, it gives me an error about /dev/hdb and /dev/hdc being in use and I cannot format them.  But I can most definately partition them, and write the table, just no format.  I checked to see if they are mounted, they are not.  Now when I partition and format my /dev/hdd, it works freaking great... wtf man... anyways, my solution to this is probably remove the drives, boot completely up, shut back down, add the drives, and try again.

but when I am worried about, is that I previously had these drives in a raid... but now i'm prepared to wipe them and start over.. I suspect the previous raid has written some kind of information to the boot record, or tables, and when I attemp a format, it sees this and halts.  The reason I suspect this, is when I try to run fsck on them, to check for errors, it says this...

fsck 1.40.2 (12-Jul-2007)
fsck: fsck.mdraid: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.mdraid for /dev/hdb1

But I just deleted, and recreated a partition... wtf is it talking about fsck.mdraid?! Well, like I said, it must still think it's in a raid... the admin web panel does not show any raids detected.  So I guess i'll be playing with the command line raid utility...  only problem is i've never used the mdadm utilities, i've already used the raidtools utilities... so looks like i'm doing some more research..

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions... you guys are freaking awesome...

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: [SOLVED] No Media. Windows Shares Not Mounting.
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:12 pm »
Just FYI: since i mentioned having problems with my raid...

The superblocks on the drive still had existing raid info in it.  I did a mdadm -examine and found out it thought it was still part of /dev/md4 so I did a mdadm manage /dev/m4 --stop then i did a mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/hd## on each device... solved the problem.

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2008, 09:57:29 pm »
I couldn't tell you the exact commands without actually doing it myself, but you're on the right track using mdadm at the command line. You're correct about there being extra data written on the drive and will have to delete each raid partition using mdadm. I think it's something like:
mdadm --stop /dev/md0 to stop the array
mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/sda1
mdadm --remove /dev/md0 /dev/sdb1
to remove the disks from the array
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda1
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sdb1
I've run into this before and after a little googling usually don't have a problem fixing it. I think things have to be done in a specific order is the hardest part. Hope this helps. -Ruben

royw

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2008, 10:03:31 pm »
Fantastic! Congratulations!

This should be entered into Mantis as an issue.

I haven't done RAID yet so can't help there...

Have fun,
Roy

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2008, 11:42:30 pm »
I've run into this before and after a little googling usually don't have a problem fixing it. I think things have to be done in a specific order is the hardest part. Hope this helps. -Ruben
Yep, I did a little googling and managed to figure it out, it was exactly as you said...

Otherwise, all issues I had are now solved, thank you everyone... awesome community...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53:05 pm »
orionsune - as Roy says, you should log the results of your troubleshooting in a Mantis ticket for the different UI behaviours so that it gets fixed up for next time. Go to http://mantis.linuxmce.org create an account and log it under the right project as a minor bug.

Col

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2008, 08:31:44 am »
guys - I will do that... thanks...

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
Re: [SOLVED] Re: No Media. Windows Shares Not Mounting.
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2008, 11:57:44 am »
Ok, it works now... this is what happened.

I recieved my capture card and remote in the mail yesterday, so I was ready to go into production with the box.  I added the hardware, and re-ran the wizard.  It picked everything up, I chose to use MythTV as my PVR software... then when I tried to watch TV, it said "Cannot play this media"... so I said screw it, and decided to do one more re-install now that i've collected the last bit of hardware I plan on using in this box...

Now, with that said, I re-installed and accidentally chose the UI mode 1 with no 3d effects.  No big deal, i'll change it on next reboot right?  Ok, so the AV wizard finished, the core/md start up and present me with the second wizard that configured all my devices for me...  As I begin to go through this wizard, LinuxMCE detects my windows box as usual... and I proceed as usual.  Except there is something different here...

Previously... when I chose UI mode 3... and the second wizard fires up... and it see's my windows box... and it asks me for the username/password for the windows box... then the subsequent shares it detects after that never ask me for a username and password... I assume this is because I supplied it for the main device (windows box)...

Currently when I chose UI mode 1... and the second wizard fires up.... and it see's my windows box... it DOES NOT ask me for a username/password for the main device (windows box) instead... when it starts to see the subsequent shares, it asks me a username/password for each individual share on the windows box.  This is different than when I chose UI mode 3.

Now at this point I ask myself... "Is choosing the different UI mode really affecting the way it's detecting my shares and asking for input?" I was very skeptical, it had to be something else I did different.  So, I decided to re-install AGAIN this time choosing UI mode 3, and I recorded every single step all the way to getting a drink, and using the bathroom.... Guess what... it asks me for username/password for the file server/main device/windows box and not the subsequent shares it detects... I allow the wizard to finish and check the shares, and they are NOT mounting...

Now.. again, I re-install AGAIN... this time choosing UI mode 1... and sure enough, it DOES NOT ask me for username/password when configuring the file server/main device/windows box but instead asks me for a username/password for each subesquent share detected thereafter.

Ok, so I allow everything to finish, the shares are mounted properly and all my media is there.  So at this point I am not looking to see what is different than before.  This is what was different.

In the Admin Website...

On the top menu bar...
Advanced -> Configuration -> Devices

On the left device list.
CORE -> Windows Box
at the bottom where the two fields are labeled username/password.  My previous installation where I was choosing UI mode 3... these boxes were filled out with my username/password.  Obviously because the wizard asked me for the username/password when it detected the windows box(parent device)...

On the installation where I chose UI mode 1... these fields were blank.  Obviously because it did not ask me for a username/password when detecting the parent device (windows box).

CORE -> Windows Box -> Shares
at the bottom where the two fields are labaled username/password.  My previous installation where I was choosing UI mode 3... these boxes were blank. Obviously because it is supposed to retrieve the username/password for mounting from the parent device.

On the installation where I chose UI mode 1... these fields were filled out with my username/password. Obviously because it asked me for a username/password for each individual share it detected.

So... to sum it up... place username/password in the individual child devices (shares) instead of the parent device.  This seems to only be true for windows vista boxes, as when I connect my wife's laptop running windows XP, it works with both methods...

After properly mounting my shares and cataloging all the information, I was able to switch back to UI mode 3 and everything is fine.  It was simply a mis-configuration of the parent/child devices.  I attribute this bug to Microslop Winblowz...

Hi orionsune,

Could you Mantis this difference between the way the autodetection scripts handle adding shares under UI1 & UI2 please so that its looked at asap.

Thanks

Andrew
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

orionsune

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 10:21:43 pm »
Yes, I plan on it.  Thanks..