Author Topic: 0710b3 Installation issues. Hang after mounting.  (Read 2657 times)

BlazeSquall

• First post!
    • View Profile
0710b3 Installation issues. Hang after mounting.
« on: January 29, 2008, 09:14:36 am »
Hello. :D

I've recently wanted to update from 0704.  I thought it'd be neat to try to AMD64 version as well as some of the new features.
I had 0704 working pretty well, and in retrospect wish I'd used a different drive to install this newer version on.  I thought I'd be able to at least get it installed and then work things out like I had to previously.

Firstly, 0704 installed, but only after commenting out the formatPartition in the installer script.  It would just hang.  I finally got it installed, finally got my alpha blended UI working, and wanted to get a WiiMote working.  Was having a ton of issues with bluetooth in general so I wanted to try 0710.

I tried AMD64 from the quick install DVD first..  It failed, very quickly.  After loading the kernel.. the screen flashes something about keeping alive.. and something about mapping.. then hangs, and turns my monitor off..  Checked MD5 and reburned.. samething.

I386 went much like it did with 0704, except that it hangs now after mounting the drive.  What's interesting is that each time it mounts it, it says that it's mounting an unknown filesystem. After that it stops.

I tried editing the installer.sh again, and removed the format part.. same thing.  I went as far as to comment out everything up the copying DVD...  and that works.. it starts copying everything.. and appears to be copying it to the swap partition.. because it eventually runs out of space for the files and crashes.

Any help would be appreciated.. I'm guessing that something early in the install script sets up some variables as to where it copies the files too.. and I've obviously commented those out so it just defaults to the swap...

Any help with this issue.. or how to maybe point it to start copying all of the files to the correct partition would be nice.

I've tried a different HDD and a different SATA controller.  I'm not going to try an IDE drive, since that defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

Thanks again.

Specs:

AMD 3500+
MSI Neo Platnium 4 Deluxe
1GB Corsair XMS
8600 GT OC
HVR 1800

4x WD 500GB HDDs ... just trying to install to one drive right now.. others aren't hooked up.
Tried the Sil SATA controller and the nVidia one, same problem.

thoth

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: 0710b3 Installation issues. Hang after mounting.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 07:52:15 pm »
I know you said you didn't want to try an ide drive, but maybe you could install to IDE and then dd/tar the install to a SATA drive.  This could be tricky as ubuntu uses the uuid's instead of /dev/sdX, but you should be able to just edit /etc/fstab to the proper values (or even reset the uuid's).  Another option would be to use an ide as the OS drive and all your sata drives as media extenders.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: 0710b3 Installation issues. Hang after mounting.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 08:28:06 pm »
Try installing Kubuntu-7.10 first, if that does work you might want to have a stab at using the CD installer on top of that.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous