Author Topic: Black screen after installing Kubuntu and nVidia drivers in b3  (Read 2999 times)

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
Black screen after installing Kubuntu and nVidia drivers in b3
« on: January 26, 2008, 12:18:45 am »
I've had so many problems with the DVD, I am now trying the CD install instead.

X couldn't start after booting the Kubuntu CD, so I had to start in safe graphics mode - no problem with this. Even now it is displaying happily in 1080p (although the DPI and aspect look a bit wrong, but that's to be expected I suppose)

Installed Kubuntu, rebooted, popped in CD1, installed the deb installer package, and kicked the actual install off.

It identifies that you should let it upgrade your nVidia drivers to the latest version if you want acceleration, etc. I said yes, it did this and then rebooted. Went through the kubuntu loader screen with the progress bar, fine and at high resolution.

Then it just goes black. Can't call up a console (ctrl-alt-F2, or any other keys) its obviously not crashed, but there is no (very little) HDD activity, and it does respond to ctrl-alt-del, reboots and goes back to the same point. Tried removing quiet from the grub menu as suggested in a post, see all the progress text, but then black screen again.
I haven't gotten anywhere near enough for it to be the AV wizard, it is the first stage of the install - hadn't even asked me if I wanted a hybrid or dedicated core yet, much less asked me to put the 2 CDs in to cache.

I have had to start again with the open source drivers option, and this currently caching the CDs as expected.

Strange thing is, when using the DVD, I manually updated the drivers using Envy to the latest version and that worked just fine...

Any thoughts on this? Especially, once I have it all set up, how should I update the drivers so that I can get acceleration? I don't want to spend 3 hours installing from CD only to screw up the installation again (btw I couldn't even ssh into the box).

Will the LMCE installation do any driver updates? I don't think so - can someone point me to a "safe" driver update process that I can do after installation? I have seen lots of different posts around on this, but I am nervous of doing it the wrong way and screwing it up again! Ideally I would like to avoid Envy - it is the easiest way, but last time I did it for the DVD installation I had alsorts of tearing/syncing issues with the screen flickering, etc. When I re-installed from DVD I left them as is, and the syncing/tearing issues went away. Video was still very jerky, and that is one of the reasons I am trying the CD in the hopes that it might configure the machine better to get the video quality it is capable of.

7050pv/630a nVidia
AMD 5200+

pfhughes

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: Black screen after installing Kubuntu and nVidia drivers in b3
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:41:20 am »
I am having the same problem trying to install 0710b3 MD

CD Install of Kubuntu is good, CD install of LinuxMCE 0710b3 creates black screen issue.
Diskless install of MD from 0710b3 Core causes "Diskless setup failed" message.

I tried booting to Run Level 1 (Recovery Mode) and installing nVidia driver 169.09 manually but I recieved an error stating "libc library files missing"

Paul

MD MSI K9NGM3 nVidia 7050PV/630a, Athlon X2 4000+, 2GB

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Black screen after installing Kubuntu and nVidia drivers in b3
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 05:22:07 pm »
So the screen goes black even before the installer asks for the 3 CDs to cache?  How odd, I have installed the 0710-beta3 (amd64) sucessfully without encountering that problem, then again that machine had an ATI chipset (X1250) on board.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous