Author Topic: Please add some more info in changelog  (Read 3355 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Please add some more info in changelog
« on: October 26, 2005, 08:58:40 pm »
Hi,

please don't get my message wrong. I know you all guys are busy, but I'd kindly ask if few minutes can be spent on writting more info on new and fixed things in releases...

Maybe somekind of automatic creation of changelog (particularly on fixed bugs) and editing it imediately when new features are added would ease this process ....

We (users, maybe also testers) are kind of lost  :) if we don't know what is happening, what features are added and could be used or tested and what bugs are fixed (this is covered in mantis, but not so easy to read).

Maybe I'm bit spoiled, but when community grows such information is very valuable - for instance :

http://w3.misterhouse.com:81/updates.html

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Rob.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 04:04:03 am »
I tend to agree with Rob on this. Another thing that would be good to see would be a bit of a project road map so we can see where things are heading.
A classic example is VDR and Myth - is the plan to switch over to VDR or support both?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 08:45:09 am »
We have a change log tracker, but I didn't copy it into the db.  it's updated now.  I'll see if we can pull off a developer to work on a roadman.  RE: Myth vs. VDR, we will continue to include both.  However our development efforts are with VDR mainly because some VDR developers are working on it with us--it's much, much easier to work with the core developers who know the app inside out, than try to "reverse engineer" it as an outsider (although we did just today get our first post from someone who seems to be a Myth developer).  We've got some really cool stuff working with VDR and hope the new Pluto-VDR stuff will be stable soon.  Nobody in the US knows VDR because it's a german project (even the docs are in German), but it is a quite mature project with users all over Germany.  The only drawback for the US is that since VDR only works with digital tv capture cards, and there are no digital capture cards for US satellite and US premium cable (both are closed, proprietary unlike Germany which is DVB), so in the US VDR will work with the digital OTA TV and digital cable, but no satellite and no premium channels.  However the only way to do that is with analog capture cards (like Myth was built for) and the picture quality is so much worse than say a High-def DirectTiVo, it's hard to be competitive commercially with analog cards.  Windows XP MC does it, of course, but the Windows drivers they use do something differently than the Linux ones.  It's strange because the encoding is in hardware, yet if you compare a Windows XP MC side-by-side with a Linux ivtv/blackbird the Windows pic quality is much better.  Maybe MS is doing some post-processing???  Anyway, that's why we're focusing on digital TV/VDR.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:11 am »
Actually, both Myth and VDR works with the Free to Air (FTA) capture cards really well and is available here in the states.
    Twinhan VisionPlus 102G Satellite PCI Card is tested.
Regards,
Cordel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 09:36:36 am »
I haven't compared the 2 side-by-sde.  However I was told (correct me if I'm wrong) that with Myth the EPG guide data comes from an external source (Data Direct) and with VDR it comes over the air.

My understanding is the Myth/DataDirect data is far more rich--you have actors, genres, detailed synopsis, etc.  However it requires registering with an external source and there's a risk it may not be always in sync with the actual broadcast.  VDR's guide data is always accurate and doesn't require registration since it is decoded from the OTA broadcast, but doesn't have nearly as much meta-data as the Myth/DataDirect.

Have you tried both?  Is my understanding correct?  If so, it would seem an ideal solution would be a hybrid: get the EPG data OTA and if the user has a data direct subscription, use it to enhange the ota epg with all the meta data.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 10:15:37 am »
Actually, a recent addition to Myth is support for EPG data broadcast along with DVB.
Although, being in Australia where this information isn't transmitted (they only transmit now/next info) I haven't been able to try it.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 07:50:33 am »
It would appear that since the host HD went bad We have lost the change log info in the DB?

Regards,
Cordel

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
OTA EPG Data
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 12:04:40 pm »
Quote from: "aaron.b"
I haven't compared the 2 side-by-sde.  However I was told (correct me if I'm wrong) that with Myth the EPG guide data comes from an external source (Data Direct) and with VDR it comes over the air.

My understanding is the Myth/DataDirect data is far more rich--you have actors, genres, detailed synopsis, etc.  However it requires registering with an external source and there's a risk it may not be always in sync with the actual broadcast.  VDR's guide data is always accurate and doesn't require registration since it is decoded from the OTA broadcast, but doesn't have nearly as much meta-data as the Myth/DataDirect.

Have you tried both?  Is my understanding correct?  If so, it would seem an ideal solution would be a hybrid: get the EPG data OTA and if the user has a data direct subscription, use it to enhange the ota epg with all the meta data.

This thread seems to have gone off topic a little... but here's our view on the issue of EPG data;

Here in Europe DVB-T, DVB-S and DVB-C are the digital TV standard - like GSM or 3G are the standard for mobile phones. So receiving OTA EPG data is what end users expect. So that has to be there as a base line to support user/customer expectations. However augmenting that EPG data with 'richer' listing Meta data about programs from a supplementary provider is something we see as very important as an added value to the end user. We imagine this will be achieved by taking the OTA EPG data and the supplementary programming data into Mysql and relating the two datasets.

Maintaining the users experience of DVB and then taking that experience to a new level is what we are striving for.

Andrew