Author Topic: Slow MD no myth-setup after upgrade of 710b3  (Read 3270 times)

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Slow MD no myth-setup after upgrade of 710b3
« on: January 23, 2008, 10:01:58 pm »
Looking for any suggestions before I do a complete fresh install.

I upgraded from 704 to 710b3.  The upgrade itself went smooth but I have some issues now.

Mythtv: I can not access mythtv-setup.  When trying to access I get the blue screen like a new myth installation that asks for location username password...  Ok through there and I skips the setup and jumps to the run mythfilldatabase question.

I have 3 different tuners that I had working in 704, a hauppauge 350, a cheap kworld 7133 based card and a air2pc digital card.  None of which are showing up in the av wizard so I need to use mythtv-setup.

Slow Orbiter: I am using an older 700mhz 384mb laptop for an orbiter (worked fine under 704) but now it is extremely slow, it seems normal until it "loading files needed to boot" then it just gets pokey.  Any suggestions (getting a new system doesn't count)

During the upgrade it may have failed trying to load files after the intial copy from DVD as 710 tried to use the second nic for internet that 704 ignored, so is it possible that it didn't upgrade some packages? 

Thanks in advance.

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Slow MD no myth-setup after upgrade of 710b3
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 11:26:10 pm »
I have done a clean install and that fixed all the mythtv issues something in the upgrade didn't go well, sorry I don't have anymore info that I can share.

I am still having trouble with a laptop.  It has a savage based video card with hardware mpg2 - worked great under 704.  I see it recognize that it is a savage card but I have a feeling that it is using VESA.  I thought 704 had a savage video card option (might be dreaming on that) but the standard  video card option is basically too slow to use.  Even switching the running orbiter to the tty1 screen can take 20 + seconds.  AVWizard video test was basically impossible becuase of the delays, I couldn't click ok on resolution verification before the 15 seconds elapsed.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 04:14:51 am »
you might want to try a low(er) resolution untill you have the driver sorted.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 07:09:54 pm »
I tried that, left it at 640x480 and was able to "blindly click" to hit the continue button while the screen was trying to be displayed.

I think the problem is something else, the whole system gets real sluggish after it hits some of the initial scripts.  I have two other desktops that are about the same vintage which fly through in comparison.  The laptop is a toshiba 2800 P3-700mhz, with a Savage S3 Savage/IX M7 video card.  Xorg.conf looks ok, but is there a way to reconfigure xorg from the console without having to run through the avwizard?

It will fly through the initial vmlinuz image, but I see the first hesitation on e100 watchdog and then it becomes real noticeable after the "read files needed to boot" after init-bottom (sorry if the names are a little off).  After that each step is 2-6 seconds.  Is it possible it is a network driver issue that it suddenly starts to "lag"?

Thanks

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2008, 03:57:07 am »
Still having trouble with my satellite 2800-202 p3-700 384mb.  I have a parts box that is the same, after changing shells the other one acted the same, so I don't think it is a physical problem.

After doing a bunch of research and various attempts over the weekend I found some possibilties from different threads.

1) e100 issues in 2.6: I think this issue has been resolved, I also have p3 ghz machine with 512mb. it is also using the e100 driver and runs great so I don't think it is the e100

2) switch ports: have tried multiple switches and different ports no effect.

3) agp aperature size: for some reason the agp aperature is set at 256mb.  I have seen some references to this slowing down systems, the laptop has an integrated 8mb savage video card.  I can not change it in the bios, any ideas about it?

4) laptop issue, is there possibly something else going on with pcmcia card controllers or other toshiba related issues?  The bios is really limiting I can't disable to much (like ide ports...) I'm not sure how to (assuming I can) disable things at boot as kernel params, or even which ones to try.

5) I looked through dmesg - no errors listed in it.

Again system worked great under 704, I just can't find if there was a particular change to 710b3 that did it.

Thanks

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:58 pm »
Maybe something went wrong with the upgrade as you said earlier, maybe you need to do a fresh install, it is a beta after all.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

craasch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2008, 08:09:30 pm »
That was what I thought it might be, and I did do the fresh install.  That seemed to fix all the problems, except this localized problem with the toshiba 2800-202 laptop.

Thanks