Author Topic: Changing CORE IP#?  (Read 17311 times)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Changing CORE IP#?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 07:07:30 pm »
hagen....did you read his question?

given my predictable, automatically installed IP config on my LAN with my existing DHCP server, how can I assign LMCE an IP# on the existing LAN segment so it can route to the Internet, and without disconnecting other LMCE services which will still look for the original IP#? Can I just edit /etc/network/interfaces ? Should I edit LMCE's DHCPd configs? Must I disable my existing DHCPd, and let my whole LAN get its IP#s from LMCE (rebooting every LAN host)? Or is there another best way to handle this common problem?

matthew...you need to disable whatever dhcp router you are using now. it will need to be running on the core after that. you will need to assign an ip address to the external nic of the core. you also have an "internal" nic, which is really a virtual nic. it shows up as eth "0:0". that also needs an address. the part i had trouble with (i suck at linux) was getting it to use the proper gateway...i didnt want to use the core as the gateway. i never got it to assign another gateway ip. if you dont care about it using the core as the gateway then it should set up that way automatically i think. theres also the issue of subnets and having the external and "internal" nics on same or separate subnets. you wont have to reboot all the hosts unless its easier for you. you can just renew the dhcp addresses and it would pick it up off the core then. i hope this helps a little more at least.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
Thank You
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 07:30:24 pm »
I've complained about some unhelpful answers, so I want to thank the people who have answered helpfully - I think there's enough info in this thread for me to proceed. When I fix the problem I will try to reply and update the Wiki.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 07:30:52 pm »
The best way is to use 2 network cards and put the LMCE core (or hybrid) in between the internet and the rest of your network and let the lmce core do the DHCP on the internal network. http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Why_dual_network_cards%3F

Is that the answer you were looking for?  Because I can't make heads or tails out of your question (both times), beyond that it seems to have something to do with DHCP and a single NIC setup. ::)  Try reading: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html maybe that helps a bit.
I was perfectly clear in specifying that I have a single NIC. Others have had no trouble either understanding the question or replying helpfully. I recommend you studying the wisdom of not saying anything if you don't have anything helpful to say.
Well that is the "best way to handle this common problem".  And if everyone understands your question so well, then why haven't you fixed your "problem" yet? 

Also feel free to update the FAQ, it is in the WIKI after all, but aparently nobody that "suffered" from this horrendous problem seemed to care enough to bother.
When I've got a tested answer, I'll update the FAQ. I did post it keeping in mind that a single NIC setup on a cablemodem or other router whose DHCP might not be optional is likely a popular situation that LMCE can probably handle if configured right, so others will probably benefit from a correct answer if I find it. People who have something useful to offer, other than flames, get the useful info before answering the question. And don't post merely self indulgent flames that damage the community.
If you think that was flaming, then I'd leave it at that right now if I were you.  Maybe you should take your own advice regarding posting flames instead of throwing a hissy fit over nothing.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have other things to do besides answering the same question over and over and over again, just because some people who can't figure things out for themselves don't feel like using the recommended setup.  And just to get things straight, your self inflicted problem is not my responsability.
I didn't ask you to take responsibility for this problem, which I "inflicted" on myself by doing a basic LMCE install according to its instructions, which left me with a system with basic defects (like not routing to the Internet). You volunteered your low S/N posts yourself - why bother, when you could be doing something useful?
These "basic defects", "bugs" and "design flaws" were caused by yourself as you didn't feel like using the recommended setup, and didn't feel like turning off your existing DHCP server either (as indicated in the documentation).  These issues have been adressed over and over again.  In fact it was the first answer you got here.  And I'm not sure what me "volunteering my low serial number posts" has got to do with anything.

Is there anything else you'd like to lecture us on?
No, I think you've got enough to work on for now.
Typical, saying no and doing yes.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 07:50:30 pm »
sure thing. oh...and i fixed it....path...not past...

http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2639.0

and i dont think i need to post how many people you despise.   :D

Please do post how many people I despise, aparently it's more then I'm aware of, better yet, could you list them by name?

By the way do you still beat your wife?
-- Anonymous

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 08:23:39 pm »
hagen....did you read his question?
Actually I did, but it soon became apparent that Matthev here had no intention of solving it the easy way, the way he himself actually has in the very first post...
Hence my
Rule #1
LMCE should be the DHCP server

Rule #2
There should not be other DHCP servers
Simple, to the point and totally true.
You can't have two DHCP servers on the network, wich Matthev brilliantly concluded in the first post.
But LMCE wount work well (it woun't, I have tried. True you can boot the machine and watch local content, but that's not what LMCE is all about) if it is not the DHCP server.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 08:33:20 pm »

:D no ...but thats not to say she wouldnt deserve it now and then....you still chokin that chicken or did it finally die on you? sorry...no time to post it all by name...but youre obviously not a fan of anyone that isnt groveling at your feet.  :-*

hagen...i just meant that he seemed to finally see it needed to be the dhcp. somehow he seemed sonfused about it still though. i think the single nic problem confuses him along with the dhcp "issue". if he gets rid of the dhcp server hes using now then everything to set it up on the core should be in the webadmin right?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 08:33:56 pm »
The core is best left as the gateway for the network, like I said you can disable the LMCE firewall and it becomes transparent to the user (and the DHCP works as intended).
The router you allready have (that is currently the DHCP) is then assigned as the gateway and DNS for the core.
And the DHCP server in that one needs to come off.

If you do however only have a router (from a broadband company for example) that is hellbendt on being the DHCP you need either a router after that and connect the BB router to the WAN port or, you need two NICs in the core.
There is no practical way to use a single NIC core with a router as DHCP as well.

The core usually wants to give itself the ***.***.***.01 IP, but it's easily changeable in the web-admin under 'advanced' 'network settings'.
For other IP, NIC and general fiddling work you can also use the 'advanced' 'device settings' and select 'core'

Hope this helps, but posting it time after time is ... slightly exhaustive.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2007, 08:39:08 pm »

:D no ...but thats not to say she wouldnt deserve it now and then....you still chokin that chicken or did it finally die on you? sorry...no time to post it all by name...but youre obviously not a fan of anyone that isnt groveling at your feet.  :-*

I'm glad to hear you stopped beating her.  You're obviously not a fan of women who talk back.
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007, 08:45:32 pm »
yeah good one zaerc. youre on a roll. when did i say i beat my wife?  ::)

silly little zaerc...with his poor twisted panties.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007, 09:03:23 pm »
yeah good one zaerc. youre on a roll. when did i say i beat my wife?  ::)

silly little zaerc...with his poor twisted panties.

Actually she did when I slept with her, I've never seen such nasty bruises on a woman.

Are you sure you want to go down this road?  You might get your feelings hurt again just like the last time. 
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007, 09:10:01 pm »
 :D thats the gayest thing ive ever heard. when you slept with her... :D good one. sounds like youve had your feelings hurt already if youre trying to find ways to "offend" me. whats next zaerc? my mom? go ahead...have fun. is my mom so fat gravy pours out or is it my moms so stupid or my moms so ugly? hurt my feelings like last time? i dont think there ever has been or ever could be a time when you could hurt my feelings. but....A for effort i guess. if its that important to you to best me and come out on top. keep trying. you may get there with a little hard work.  :-*
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007, 09:17:59 pm »
okay fellas, let's try to return this thread to sanity.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007, 09:23:22 pm »
Aww and I was just about to link the post where he told me I hurt his feelings (in a very manly way of course).  Oh well I'm sure it won't be long untill he feels the need to attack me again. 
-- Anonymous

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2007, 09:36:52 pm »
attack?  ::)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2007, 09:46:16 pm »
seriously, come on, you know you two get on each others nerves... why don't you both use that information to.. oh, i don't know... agree to disagree? stay away from each other, perhaps? ;)

-Thom