Author Topic: Divix/Divx  (Read 6621 times)

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
Divix/Divx
« on: November 08, 2007, 05:05:36 pm »
I am a newb.  However love the way Linux MCE is working in my family room.  I installed using the dvd.

I can also see the dvd and video stored in public folders and am able to drop my avi files for replay later on.

My question is how to make the system play Divx files similarly.  Or simple way to convert these Divx files to AVI either on my laptop or the Linux MCE.

Thanks
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: Divix/Divx
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 08:18:05 am »
???
LMCE plays DivX movies by default, atleast I have never had any problems with that.

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 10:46:27 am »
Thanks for your response.  I changed the file extension to AVI from DIVX and it now works.
Linux MCE.  Next best thing since slice of bread. (Audio, Video, Webserver, NAS - All rolled into one cool appliance).

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 10:56:47 am »
Ah...
I thought they allready had the avi extension  ;D

garg_art2002

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
    • Home Site
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 08:50:11 am »
Not sure about that. The file I was handed over was JDJ.divx and it asked that I install Divix player....

But after changing the file extension to avi, even ms windows player can play this file.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2007, 09:13:54 am »
When our 3D guy renders and converts to dix he get's the .divx extension and has to manually change that to .avi

alphapenguin

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 03:54:46 am »
I had the same problem, and I just figured it out as well. I hope they add .divx as a valid DIVX extension in the next update as well.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 11:07:28 am »
indeed, .divx allows for multiple subtitles and audio tracks

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 12:43:00 am »

Code: [Select]
find /path/to/files -iname \*.divx -exec mv '{}' '{}'.avi \;

Problem solved. ;)
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 11:37:52 am »
The next beta (or RC, or release :) ) of LinuxMCE 0710 will recognize the .divx as video files and they should be played w/o renaming.

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 12:10:50 pm »
What about mkv? I read in a thread somewhere that this was already in b3 and maybe even b2, however I just put several mkv files on my hard drive in just same way as I do with every other file (don't use mkv that much) but LMCE doesn't see them. I went into media sync and can see them as the drive icon not the check mark even after several resyncs. If I use the drop down and choose LinuxMCE Video file and update the data base they appear and play just fine....

BTW - when is the next beta/RC/release?!!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 01:26:50 pm »
Search the boards, if I recall correctly totallymaxed posted a way to add extra media file extensions to the database under 0710 beta3.
-- Anonymous

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 02:23:41 pm »
What about mkv? I read in a thread somewhere that this was already in b3 and maybe even b2, however I just put several mkv files on my hard drive in just same way as I do with every other file (don't use mkv that much) but LMCE doesn't see them. I went into media sync and can see them as the drive icon not the check mark even after several resyncs. If I use the drop down and choose LinuxMCE Video file and update the data base they appear and play just fine....
Execute on your system the query (you need to be root and run "mysql pluto_main" in shell to get in mysql command line tool first) :
Code: [Select]
UPDATE MediaType SET Extensions="mov,avi,mpeg,mpg,wmv,ts,tp,dvd,vdr,ogm,evo,m2ts,iso,mp4,mkv,divx" WHERE PK_MediaType=5;

This should make both DivX and MKV auto-detected as video files. Please stop/start LinuxMCE to ensure UpdateMedia scanner catches them.

BTW - when is the next beta/RC/release?!!

Sorry, I don't know :) I also hope it will happen soon.

Search the boards, if I recall correctly totallymaxed posted a way to add extra media file extensions to the database under 0710 beta3.

Unfortunately there is no webUI for this yet. But there is a mantis for it already :) http://mantis.linuxmce.org/view.php?id=3950

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »
Thanks Kir/Zaerc

I knew about the command to add it, but thought that they had been added as part of b3, so was just wondering. Have never executed the SQL command that Totallymaxed posted because it assumed a level of knowledge on MySQL (such as how to get to the command line :) ) but I will try it now that I know it isn't just my system and I have the commands :)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 09:46:39 pm »
You're welcome.  And to make it even easier here are some commands to do it from the command line.

To see what the current setting is:
mysql pluto_main -u root -e "SELECT Extensions FROM MediaType WHERE PK_MediaType=5"
+---------------------------------------------------------+
| Extensions                                              |
| mov,avi,mpeg,mpg,wmv,ts,tp,dvd,vdr,ogm,evo,m2ts,iso,mp4 |

And to update it like Kir's example:
mysql pluto_main -u root -e "UPDATE MediaType SET Extensions='mov,avi,mpeg,mpg,wmv,ts,tp,dvd,vdr,ogm,evo,m2ts,iso,mp4,mkv,divx' WHERE PK_MediaType=5"

Now you can run the first command again to verify.

-- Anonymous