Author Topic: Wait for Gutsy support?  (Read 5300 times)

cosmic

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Wait for Gutsy support?
« on: October 23, 2007, 09:49:05 am »
Hi,

Would it be reasonable to wait for LinuxMCE to support the recently released Gutsy Ubuntu (aka 7.10), or is that a bit of a ways off?

I'm keen to switch to LinuxMCE from my current home grown MythTV install, but am weighing it up against how long it may take for LinuxMCE to support the newer version of Ubuntu.

I realise Gutsy has only just been released and it's hard to quantify these things.
Is there a huge push for supporting Gutsy at this stage?

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Wait for Gutsy support?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 05:05:49 pm »
Hi,

Would it be reasonable to wait for LinuxMCE to support the recently released Gutsy Ubuntu (aka 7.10), or is that a bit of a ways off?

I'm keen to switch to LinuxMCE from my current home grown MythTV install, but am weighing it up against how long it may take for LinuxMCE to support the newer version of Ubuntu.

I realise Gutsy has only just been released and it's hard to quantify these things.
Is there a huge push for supporting Gutsy at this stage?

If there is a huge push, it sure is a very quiet one.  Personaly I think it would be better to get some experience with a test setup then to wait for the next release...
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

linix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 06:17:44 pm »
HI GUys,

I think this community should be actively working on to pin MCE with Ubuntu's release circle as most of the part of apps are pretty stable already.

those guys with UbuntuStudio are doing great in parallel to Ubuntu's official release. If we can do this, we will definitely to soon be integreted within Ubuntu's repository which might make everyone's work easier. This will also boost more about this MCE edition.

Maybe, we should give it a new name like, UbuntuMCE, similiarly to those MythUbuntu.

BTW, I tried a 2-CD install on a fresh Kubuntu 7.10, It's failed right after "caching Kubuntu live cd" section.

tks
peng

cosmic

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:10:07 am »
Hmm, so no specific statement on when Gutsy will be support.
It is still early days, I hold out hope that things may improve.  In the mean time I will switch to MythBuntu on Gutsy and consider LinuxMCE for a future reinstall.

I agree that something UbuntuMCE and syncrhonizing releases could increase exposure and better communicate the intent of LinuxMCE.  I suppose it's a branding decision?

Shalimar

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:58:14 am »
I've been waiting patiently.. hoping since 7.10 was so close to release that L-MCE would follow suit.  And now that 7.10 is out it would seem there is confusion from several sources about if/when it'll follow the Ubuntu release schedule.

In the meantime I have a new HTPC 95% complete here and would like to finish it with L-MCE 7.10.. but if it's not going to be released soon I'll have to skip it... and rebuilding such again later is not a nice option realistically.

For many others the option to release with Ubuntu's scheduled releases is simple common sense.. anything else seems somewhat foolish I'd have to say.

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 09:35:19 am »
Hi,

TotallyMax already answered this correctly on another thread. It will be normal that some time lag will exist between Kubuntu and LMCE release, cause many times it's not just a matter of recompile, but also some new features, bug hunting etc....

But AFAIK, there will be simple procedure (or even automatic way) to upgrade (at least LMCE part will be) - not sure about  Kubuntu... Right now LMCE is in very early stage, where source code repository is about to be setup, so time lag will be a bit longer. Guys are working hard on this one...

Have patience and contribute whereever you can...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Shalimar

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 04:48:29 pm »
Hi,

TotallyMax already answered this correctly on another thread. It will be normal that some time lag will exist between Kubuntu and LMCE release, cause many times it's not just a matter of recompile, but also some new features, bug hunting etc....

But AFAIK, there will be simple procedure (or even automatic way) to upgrade (at least LMCE part will be) - not sure about  Kubuntu... Right now LMCE is in very early stage, where source code repository is about to be setup, so time lag will be a bit longer. Guys are working hard on this one...

Have patience and contribute whereever you can...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

Thank you for the info Bulek!  Perhaps you should paste in the link here to where it was proper addressed elsewhere.. so others can find such as well. (The less duplication we have the better right?)

Regards,

Shal