Author Topic: NVIDIA cards question  (Read 5439 times)

mitsus

• View Profile
NVIDIA cards question
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:04:12 pm »
HI all,
is there someone that is able to fix the NVIDIA cards problems?
I see many questions from many users, but i don't understand if all NVIDIA cards are ables to run LinuxMCE with UI2 !!
I've a NVIDIA Quadro FX 3450/4000 SDI graphic card. I've try http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers but it don't work!! Never! I try other steps to install NVIDIA drivers and i post all my tests in this forum!
I want to solve these question because it is primary for me. I don't want UI1 interface, but UI2. I've buy an NVIDIA cards because LinuxMCE documentation wrote << Unfortunately very few video card manufacturers have the necessary composite extensions in their Linux drivers. At this moment the only video hardware we have confirmed UI2 works with are the nVidia 6xxx and 7xxx series; preferably a 7xxx with at least 128MB RAM.>>

I update my experience.

Thank a lot

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
Re: NVIDIA cards question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:32:11 pm »
In my experience and from rumours on this forum GeForce4xxx, Gf5xxxx, Gf6xxxx upto Gf7300 should all be able to run UI2 alpha blended with the proprietory drivers.
The new drivers for 7xxx and 8xxx isn't included in LMCE yet and works only after a lengthy manual ordeal fighting LMCE every step of the way for control of the config files.

Can you be more specific about what card doesn't work?

mitsus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 03:16:58 pm »
OK Hagen.

I explain all with some points:

1. I've install nvidia drivers from Linux MCE installer wizard. Its don't work...when i reboot kubuntu i see a black screen. I push CTRL+ALT+F1 and check the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. It is totally wrong!! I don't see nothing about my nvidia card.

2. I've reinstall Kubuntu and i've follow http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Display_Drivers#NVidia_Chipsets instructions, but i've the same error posted to dot 1.

3. I've reinstall totally Kubuntu and i follow the steps report from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=514161. It don't work, i've changes xorg.conf in according with this user, but i don't able to load X server.

4. Now i've reinstall Kubuntu and i want follow the instructions posted from http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/Ubuntu_installation. I post my result in 1 hour.

Can you support me Hagen?

Thank a lot and sorry for my bad english.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 04:22:42 pm »
1. I've install nvidia drivers from Linux MCE installer wizard. Its don't work...when i reboot kubuntu i see a black screen.

That usually means that the wrong video output is selected.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

mitsus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 04:39:28 pm »
Excuse me Zaerc.
Can you be more specific about "That usually means that the wrong video output is selected"?

Thank you

smitty1023

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 02:28:38 pm »
1. I've install nvidia drivers from Linux MCE installer wizard. Its don't work...when i reboot kubuntu i see a black screen.

That usually means that the wrong video output is selected.

Zaerc,

How can you get the LINUXMCE to use the DVI port instead of the VGA port. I want to connect it to my television using the HDMI/DVI for 1080p.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:54:11 pm »
-- Anonymous

smitty1023

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2007, 01:11:25 am »
I think you'll both find the answer here: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/AVWizard#How_A.2FV_Wizard_Starts

Thanx for the link Zaerc, but unforntunately for me I don't have any sound out of my ASUS M2NPV-VM so I can't hear the beeps. Or do the beeps come from the internal speaker?

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 01:55:56 am »
they come from the internal speaker.

-Thom

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2007, 04:02:21 am »
To be honest I've never heard the beeps myself, the black screen has always been a good indicator to press 1-5 for me.  ;D
-- Anonymous