Author Topic: [FIXED] MD image creation broke orbiter on Hybrid...  (Read 3293 times)

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
[FIXED] MD image creation broke orbiter on Hybrid...
« on: October 13, 2007, 08:11:26 pm »
I'm not sure just how or why, but upon creation of an MD image, the Hybrid's display seemed to go haywire, and upon reboot, the hybrid's orbiter dies for unknown reason...  However, the MD's orbiter worx fine (only UI1, due to video hardware limitations).

As well, another MD went thru installation seemingly successfully, and now boot hangs at an error about the nvidia module tainting the kernel...

All of this stuff happened basically simultaneously...

Anyone have any ideas?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:58:28 pm by tekoholic »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
Re: MD image creation broke orbiter on Hybrid...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2007, 03:04:59 am »
looks like your nvidia kernel modules got blasticated in the process of creating the media director images... the MDs use the same directories for kernel modules for all the media directors, and the media director installation may have overwritten the vendor driver install you applied....

re-apply the vendor nvidia drivers, and that should fix the issue...
(please please please let's get a newer nvidia driver in the next release!!!)

-Thom

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:52:10 pm »
Dammit, I was really hoping to avoid this mess...  OK, installed the nvidia 100.14.11 driver, and still, cannot get the orbiter up.  Tells me the binary cannot be found, still.  I also tried to regen all orbiters, in case that might make a difference, and it's currently stuck on 5% on stage 1 of what must be the off-brand notebook's orbiter regen process.  It did, however, succeed at the regen of the hybrid's, AFAIK.  I'm at a complete loss, at this point...

How do things work on a network with Nvidia, ATI, Via, and any other video modules, if they can't coexist?  At this point, I'm guessing that it was probably the off-brand with SIS, that killed it, because it wasn't nvidia?

edit:  Fixed it!!  Since, as I saw things, my notebook was never going to boot anyway, I deleted it's listing on the admin page.  Didn't even have the opportunity to reload router, or anything else, before the hybrid's orbiter just came right up...

edit:  Nope, upon reboot, vesa driver back, all gone to crap...  Manually edited xorg.conf for nvidia, rebooted into av-wiz, got it back.  Now, wondering if it's going to stay???  Trying now...  OK, it stayed...  Now, back to xorg.conf to change resolution...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 05:51:18 pm by tekoholic »

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 05:35:48 pm »
well if the chipset is a SIS, then that shouldn't have caused a problem.. hmm, you've got weirder things happening... I can't be sure because I can't see your system...

very strange.

-Thom

tekoholic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 05:57:35 pm »
well if the chipset is a SIS, then that shouldn't have caused a problem.. hmm, you've got weirder things happening... I can't be sure because I can't see your system...

OK, so multiple driver modules can coexist?  I guess that would make sense...  They're all installed, it just depends on which one is actually used...  Sorry about that brain-fart.

Beyond that, the only other MD I tried to load up has an nvidia card as well (Go 6150, 1200x800), and that's the one I deleted that brought the hybrid back up.  Is there anything I should do, before trying again?  As well, are you familiar at all with how I might add a kernel-param for the diskless MD boot (BIOS bug, system locks up without pollirq added to kernel line)?  Actually, I wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if that's what caused this recent mess to begin with...