Author Topic: Can't install package'mce-installer'  (Read 11590 times)

wardog

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
Can't install package'mce-installer'
« on: October 12, 2007, 04:42:49 pm »
Attempting to install LMCE on a fresh install Kubuntu 7.04, exactly as described in the installation instructions.  Have downloaded the 2 CD iso's to the desktop, and attempted to install the mce installer package by going to the Kubuntu package menu>Install Package, and I get this error:

dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/status' near line 19981 package 'libgc j7-0':
EOF during value of field 'Description' (missing final newline)
Press <enter> to exit...

how can i fix this?

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Re: Can't install package'mce-installer'
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 04:49:11 pm »
did you check the md5 sums and are you using the larger one of the installers? if i remember correctly theres two installers and you need to use the one thats 5 or 7 megs or something.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

wardog

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 05:11:09 pm »
checksum is OK, using the 5.4 Mb installer mce-installer_2.0.1-1_i386.deb

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 05:20:38 pm »
and didnt do any updates on kubuntu first right? sorry just checking. i am sure someone much better with linux will chime in soon with better ideas. just checking what i can think of.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

wardog

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 05:23:18 pm »
affirmative, no updates installed

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 05:28:47 pm »
i was looking around. you can do a search for that directory tree and find lots of stuff. apparently it is saying theres a problem with the libgc j7-0 but i have no idea what that means. can you try reinstalling that package maybe? did you check the md5 of the kubuntu iso? if you are literate in linux try doing a search on google for

/var/lib/dpkg/status + parse

you could try going into more detail. if you arent very good with linux then youll have to wait for some more help. sorry i know i havent been much help at all. i am still learning linux and have a long way to go.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

lite

• First post!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 02:51:44 pm »
I got same problem. I right clicked on linux-mce-installer and clicked on install package.But .install
file didnot appear on Desktop.Then i went to konsole and did "dpkg -i linux-mce" and ckecked
status of package using "dpkg -s", but last command showed that package is not
installed. So i am stuck badly at this .intsall file step.

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 03:52:26 pm »
Do the RAM checker (on the Kubuntu 0704 live CD), I have had this problem only with faulty RAM sticks.
(that may not be your exact problem, but it doesn't hurt either)

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 04:03:27 pm »
And while your at it, check the md5sums on those ISOs as well.

Maybe this helps: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installation_Guide#Installing_mce-installer_from_command_prompt
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

adrian4design

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 01:33:01 am »
Hi I am a complete newbiee to linux I have installed ubuntu numerous times now using 64bit Iso disc and 32bit iso disc different releases, I have tried removing hardware now I am out of ideas I cant get the MCE installer to run sometimes it asks for a password but nothing ever happens according to the guides I should have a wizard start but I am geting nothing???

I am at my wits end now and have sourced a Win XP MCE disc but I want to try a bit longer with this, can anyone help even just to say the servers are busy, the ubuntu installs seem to be fine.

I did also try using the quick install ISO DVD for MCE but I am getting an error message and I have just burnt a new disc to try.

amd 64 x2
Msi K9VGM
SATA 320GB Barracuda
1Gb Ram
Hauppage Win Tv Nova T-500
Nvidia Club 3d Gforce 8500

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 07:27:58 am »
Now that actually sounds like faulty RAM to me.
Erratic install behavior is a sure sign of hardware trouble, and if the problem is not the same every time it's most likely RAM.
Boot from the Kubuntu Live CD and instead of starting Kubuntu, run the RAM checker.

adrian4design

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 12:11:40 pm »
Hagen,

I suppose it could be but ubuntu installs fine it is purely just the install MCE link that is put on the desktop by the downloaded deb file from

http://www.linuxmce.com/download.php

It was the same problem everytime as well I thought it could have been a hardware conflict therefore I have tried removing the graphics card and tv tuner but to no avail it is like the link is a deadend? I started off with the "ubuntu 7.10 iso amd64" but the link seemed dead then I read somewhere that Linux MCE wont mount on this due to the 64bit architecture, can anyone confirm this? So I then tried "7.10 i386 desktop  version" (32 bit) that installed but still the link seemed dead, I don't know what it is supposed to link to but nothing happens sometimes it asks me for my password and I think maybe, but then nothing again. All the guides say it should start a setup wizard and this will tell me when to insert the Linux MCE DVD but I guess I never got that far, I did try and insert the disk before clicking the link just in case but it was still just as dead, I did also try rifiling through the cotents of the dvd to no avail.

I then tried without installing the graphics card driver, then without any updates still dead link. I then tried installing straight from the quick install dvd iso from Linux MCE but got error messages!   
???

However I reburned the Linux MCE DVD installer and also the Ubuntu 6.06 disc late last night and decided to try the dvd direct install quickly first before I gave up for the night and hey presto I now have Kubuntu and MCE, I guess I couldn't install direct from the dvd before due to bad sectors! I havent tried it out yet and I have to put the hardware back in but should I do this then reinstall from the dvd or will kubuntu and linux MCE just find them itself? 
 ;D

If anyone knows what I did wrong with Ubuntu please let me know, I did get quite used to the look and feel of it whilst trying to suss out what was going on with the link, is there much difference in Kubuntu?

Any comments on these four days of hair loss I have just suffered will be much appreciated.   :)

AMD 64 x2
Msi K9VGM
SATA 320GB Barracuda
1Gb Ram
Hauppage Win Tv Nova T-500
Nvidia Club 3d Gforce 8500
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:36:16 pm by adrian4design »

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 02:32:23 pm »
ubuntu 7.10 doesnt work with linuxmce, whether its 64 or 32 bit. actually....linuxmce 0704 doesnt go with anything but Kubuntu 7.04. so i think you were confused quite a bit by something. ubuntu 6.06 was probably never supported. the first one would have been 6.10. unless you just typed that wrong. anyway....glad the dvd worked for you.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

adrian4design

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 02:49:10 pm »
I have built a few PC's now but it is all self taught, I am still a bit of a novice. So I got a magazine PCFormat and it had a build your own Media Centre PC guide, I have been dying to do this for ages and it seemed a challenge, I bought the parts put it all together it looks good seems to be functioning ok it was just this software issue and the mag clearly stated "use ubuntu latest release" so I guess that was wrong. It could have saved me a lot of stress if they gave me a little more info than the final paragraph they offered and they made it sound so easy, oh how wrong they were!!!!

I am going to have a play with this tonight, try and get it set up with all hardware in place and connected to my CRT TV using scart to s-video and see how I get on, I am hoping to be able to leave my reliance on Mcrosoft behind, wish me luck and I'll come back and post how I get on.

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 03:40:51 pm »
hmmm...never heard of pcformat. how old was the issue? the kubuntu change was...idk....fairly recent...it has been a few months though. at the end of november linuxmce 0710 will be out. you can also order pressed dvds from www.linuxmce.com if you want one. good luck with it all.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P