Author Topic: No audio with TV  (Read 6052 times)

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
No audio with TV
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:54:22 pm »
First the good news! I got my HDHomeRun. I hooked it up to the subnet and switched on LMCE. LMCE detected HDHomeRun and installed it automatically. The whole process was very smooth and this must be the easiest installation of any TV tuner card I ever did!

Now the bad news! I get no audio from TV. I do get sound from DVD, music and setup screens. In fact, even before ordering HDHomeRun, I got working ATI HDTV Wonder card with LMCE. Again there was no sound with ATI either and I suspected the unsupported ATI card or the drivers as the culprit. But it looks like something else is missing in my setup. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

jeff_rigby

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: No audio with TV
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 09:51:50 pm »
Linux MCE and Myth are two seperate programs that CAN use seperate audio paths.

If you are using the computer audio out not the Spdif or optical audio out then both Myth and MCE work properly.  If you use the Spdif (dolby Digital out) then MCE will properly output sound thru that port and DVDs will play peroperly, recorded TV programs will play properly also.  Live TV (Myth) is still outputting the sound out the computers audio out port not the Spdif and you will have no sound when using myth for live TV.

If you are using a core/MD system you can configure the audio for the KDE desktop to use the SPDIF and everything will work properly.  If you are on a network boot MD then you can configure the desktop the same way but you will have to do this every time you reload the diskless MD.

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 11:45:43 pm »
Linux MCE and Myth are two seperate programs that CAN use seperate audio paths.

If you are using the computer audio out not the Spdif or optical audio out then both Myth and MCE work properly.  If you use the Spdif (dolby Digital out) then MCE will properly output sound thru that port and DVDs will play peroperly, recorded TV programs will play properly also.  Live TV (Myth) is still outputting the sound out the computers audio out port not the Spdif and you will have no sound when using myth for live TV.

If you are using a core/MD system you can configure the audio for the KDE desktop to use the SPDIF and everything will work properly.  If you are on a network boot MD then you can configure the desktop the same way but you will have to do this every time you reload the diskless MD.
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I looked for a place in KDE to change the audio configuration so that the change would be global, but I could not find an appropriate screen or command. Could you post a little more details on how to change that in KDE environment?

Thanks
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

aurum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 02:31:46 am »

[/quote]
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I looked for a place in KDE to change the audio configuration so that the change would be global, but I could not find an appropriate screen or command. Could you post a little more details on how to change that in KDE environment?

u can do with alsamixer. u must unmute the iecxxx. the u wil have stereo pcm output over spdif.

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 08:38:06 am »

u can do with alsamixer. u must unmute the iecxxx. the u wil have stereo pcm output over spdif.
[/quote]

That did not solve the problem. In order to get audio through spdif, I had to mute IEC958 from within the alsamixer. If it is not muted then audio won't play even for DVD and also the setup screen sounds like crazy distortion (Sort of over saturated signal). But I noticed that when I can get audio from DVD the TV can be played through analog output.

aurum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2007, 05:21:41 pm »

[/quote]

That did not solve the problem. In order to get audio through spdif, I had to mute IEC958 from within the alsamixer. If it is not muted then audio won't play even for DVD and also the setup screen sounds like crazy distortion (Sort of over saturated signal). But I noticed that when I can get audio from DVD the TV can be played through analog output.

[/quote]

i have a some problem now as u. but... if i play the temp video of livetv from the /home/.../tv_show on windows pc over samba i have a sound.

so it's not a beta, it's just a pre alpha stage software, i hope sometimes will work all feature.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2007, 07:10:12 pm »
so it's not a beta, it's just a pre alpha stage software, i hope sometimes will work all feature.

PEBCAK
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 03:12:05 pm »
i have a some problem now as u. but... if i play the temp video of livetv from the /home/.../tv_show on windows pc over samba i have a sound.

What motherboard are you using?

aurum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 06:11:11 am »

What motherboard are you using?

asus m2npv-vm

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 04:20:13 pm »
asus m2npv-vm

m2npv-vm is used even by developers.

I even suspected Linux compatibility of my motherboard. Thank God it is not that! But the strange thing is that no one else reported this problem.

I agree with your opinion that it is not yet production quality! I would call it a proof-of-concept release. But the whole idea is so good that I cannot discard the setup. I already invested fairly good amount of money into it.

aurum

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 07:52:47 pm »
/*

m2npv-vm is used even by developers.

I even suspected Linux compatibility of my motherboard. Thank God it is not that! But the strange thing is that no one else reported this problem.
*/

maybe we have a some hw difference. my tuner card is a dirty cheap pinacle saa7114  with own wav device, have no analog connection to mb line in. they mayb have. but, the mythtv record sound so the problem is somewhere between the mythtv and linuxmce...

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 08:53:58 pm »
maybe we have a some hw difference. my tuner card is a dirty cheap pinacle saa7114  with own wav device, have no analog connection to mb line in. they mayb have. but, the mythtv record sound so the problem is somewhere between the mythtv and linuxmce...
Well.. I get no sound even with my HDHomeRun.

Earlier, I got my ATI HDTV wonder to work with LinuxMCE - with no sound of course. I thought that the problem could be the unsupported ATI HDTV card and went ahead and bought HDHomeRun. HDHomeRun has the same issue - no sound on the live TV.  In my setup the issue occurs only on LiveTV and not on recorded TV or other videos. Hence I suspect the problem to be in MythTV configuration. I did not find any place to change settings other than tinkering with alsamixer (command line).

I am happy with HDHomeRun though. Being a network device it is more flexible and does not take up valuable PCI slot and also gets much less warm compared to HDTV  wonder.

extragewy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 09:27:02 pm »
This may not be the best solution, but it worked for me.  To have your sound output through spdif in KDE by default, add the following code to your asound.conf file:

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave {
rate 48000
pcm "spdif"
}
}