Author Topic: SPDIF - Noise - Sound distorted ???  (Read 4213 times)

zherlock

• View Profile
SPDIF - Noise - Sound distorted ???
« on: September 26, 2007, 01:23:16 pm »
???

I had Optical Sound output working OK, I have dualboot on the machine.
It's a Abit IL-90MV board with Intel Chipset.

Sound was good, but all of the sudden after a reboot I get distorted sound, sound like a guitar amplifier set at full distortion. I tryed to rerun the Aduio/Video wizard, sound is distorted even in the wizard audio sample.

Please advice, it works fine in Vista and XP at the moment. There must be some issue with the Audio driver and/or some KDE sound daemon? Where are the configs? What should I look for?

Thanx!

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SPDIF - Noise - Sound distorted ???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:07:36 am »
???

Sound was good, but all of the sudden after a reboot I get distorted sound, sound like a guitar amplifier set at full distortion. I tryed to rerun the Aduio/Video wizard, sound is distorted even in the wizard audio sample.

Please advice, it works fine in Vista and XP at the moment. There must be some issue with the Audio driver and/or some KDE sound daemon? Where are the configs? What should I look for?

Thanx!

Wow! Exactly same thing happened here! My Core/MD hybrid setup was working just fine with SPDIF through my receiver for last three days. All of a sudden tonight it started making only distortion .. it sounds like too much over saturated input signal (Scratchy, metallic). Initially I suspected a hosed motherboard. But when I put my WindowXP MCE hard disk back audio is working just fine. Confused :-(

The only change I made was adding a new USB/UIRT device. The problem persists even after I removed the new device.

Please help....
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 05:56:50 pm by MediaMonkey »
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:13:56 am »
???

Thanx!

Wow! Exactly the same thing happened here! My Core/MD hybrid setup was working just fine with SPDIF through my receiver for last three days. All of a sudden this tonight it started making only distortion .. it sounds like too much over saturated input signal (Scratchy, metallic). Initially I suspected a hosed motherboard. But when I put my WindowXP MCE hard disk back audio is working just fine. Confused :-(

The only change I made was adding a new USB/UIRT device. The problem persists even after I removed the new device.

Please help....
Maybe you can try to get it working through KDE...

HTH,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

MediaMonkey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 06:02:48 pm »
The problem happens in all the sound outputs. SPDIF/Coax and Analog. Motherboard is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186104&Tpk=N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H. Sound is integrated into the motherboard.

I tried with another hard disk on which I had an earlier trial installation of LinuxMCE. The problem found in that also. Doesn't it say that something is wrong with the hardware? Initially I suspected recent updates or configuration changes. It is intriguing because the exact same hardware setup works fine with Windows XP ME.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~######################################~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

I fixed it:  I tried to enable and disable SPDIF in ALSA using alsamixer as described in http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dolby_Digital_Out_(AC3,_SPDIF)

SPDIF in my core motherboard works with LinuxMint when IEC958 is enabled whereas it works in LinuxMCE when it is disabled!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 08:15:17 am by MediaMonkey »
Core/Hybrid: Foxconn N570SM2AA-8EKRS2H (has 2 network ports), ASUS EN6200LE, AMD-X2 4000+, 1GB DDR2-800, 500 GB SATA/300, DVD drive/writer, Sony XL1B3, BTC 9019URF, Gyro Mouse, Gyro Remote, USB-UIRT, MS Win XP Remote, ATI HDTV Wonder, HDHomeRun