Author Topic: consolidating servers - samba pdc - change workgroup, firewall, dans guardian?  (Read 5638 times)

schaferj

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Hello,

I'd like for my core to also be the main home server and eliminate other power hungry servers.  So I'd like the core to handle client authentication (as a samba pdc) and better firewall / security / privacy / parental control.  However, I don't want to break lmce or cause upgrade incompatibilities as the old pluto code still seems entangled with the underlying kubuntu.

Please share any recommendations / experiences you've had in modifying the core dcerouter networking configs.

In several previous installs, I attempted to change some things with bad results.

Current setup is running OK with core at 192.168.2.1 (changed default).  (some of the help in the webadmin is not found - and I suspect this change may be the cause).

I'd also like to change the dcerouter smb & hostname (from dcerouter to something_else) and the workgroup from linuxmce to schafer (which is my house net default).  Will this break anything or will it be reset by the lmce database?  And it would also be nice if the media directors (moonxx) could be in the same workgroup as well rather than the "pluto" workgroup.

Bottom line minimum would prefer to have all clients in the same workgroup with samba primary domain controller and dans guardian content filter on the core.

Please your experiences.

And if the best answer is to run ipcop or something on a dedicated box upstream from the core (192.168.1.1), and that samba pdc is better off on it's owe 'buntu server (192.168.2.10).  That's good to know as well and is my current and default setting.

much thanks,
joseph
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 05:18:04 pm by schaferj »

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I can only talk about dansguardian.  I have used it with success under Plutohome, but I have not tried yet under LinuxMCE.  It is on my to do list as I have a 13 yo.  The only issue I can remember is that the port 8080 keep getting reassigned to Apache and  I would have to go in and manual commit out the 8080 line from /etc/apache2/ports.conf.

Please keep us informed if you attempt the samba PDC.  As for the firewall, there is a webadmin page where you can configure the firewall, I have never made any changes, but it is there.  I believe that it is under Advanced > Network tab, but I am not in front oh may machine to confirm.

Thanks,

Rob

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm also interested in same thing. LMCE should become main "all in one" house server. Maybe even Samba, Firewall, Dansguardian would be the first in line and then LMCE with all its features...

Please keep us posted about progresses...

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

desmarch

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I really think that it is the way to go. For me to turn to LinuxMCE, the core should also serve for file/printer/resource sharing as well as backups.
What are teh current limitations of LinuxMCE on this front? ???

DeadPenguin

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Heres the link to the wiki that explains dansguardian:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_Dansguardian

I have a couple little ones I will also be adding it.

Regards,
Blair

dukat

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
I've also in the process of using LMCE as my home server. I had serious problems with LMCE replacing my DSL home box and using instead ppp0 as the external interface. It works now, but not officially (See Bug report http://www.linuxmce.com/mantis/view.php?id=3558). Basically I had to configure iptables masquerading and DynDNS manually.

Now I'm struggling with LMCE as a SAMBA server. Unfortunately, there seems to be a design flaw with LMCE's [home] share, as basically I can see every private file from all other users. I've filed a bug report at http://www.linuxmce.com/mantis/view.php?id=3788.

There's also a problem with the apt-sources. LMCE doesn't use the official Ubuntu repositories, so I ran into dependency problems (because some later security updates weren't there). I had to manually install these .deb packages. The most prominent example was my attempt to install the fglrx ATi driver.

Otherwise I've setup Subversion and Amule without any problems.

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Heres the link to the wiki that explains dansguardian:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Installing_Dansguardian

I have a couple little ones I will also be adding it.

Regards,
Blair

I'm going to try this tonight or this weekend...  quick question though, if I install this on my core, on my MD's and other pc's on my network, I'm assuming I need to set web browsing to go through the new proxy at 192.168.80.1:8888, correct?

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
if you set up the part
 Configuring Firewall to forward to port 8081
you will not need to do anything at the browser

I have mixed windows linux environment and all browsers automatically use dansguardian

thanks
rob

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
if you set up the part
 Configuring Firewall to forward to port 8081
you will not need to do anything at the browser

I have mixed windows linux environment and all browsers automatically use dansguardian

thanks
rob
ahhh..  thanks...  didn't read that closely enough....