Author Topic: LinuxMCE Demo @ Maker Faire  (Read 13950 times)

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: LinuxMCE Demo @ Maker Faire
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 12:18:48 am »
I've also got access to a compaq tablet PC w/WinXP on it (boo, hiss, I know, I know) that could serve as an orbiter, or perhaps a terminal. What do you think? Would it be possible to have multiple orbiters, or is that just not a good idea, and I should just save it as a terminal?

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 12:41:42 am »
Here's the tablet, by the way:

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablet-pcs/hp-compaq-tablet-pc/4505-3126_7-20627295.html

I'd also like to incorporate the Wiimote, love those things. Would work great, since they make a dockable charger for it, and it's got a gyro.

I'm excited!

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 03:31:33 am »
shouldn't be a problem, and it would be good to show how easy it is to install an orbiter onto an existing PC.

As for the Wiimote... haven't dealt with it, although a few in here have.

-Thom

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 03:35:28 am »
Yeah, the Nokia definately wasn't easy. I'm doing it two times, just so I can put out some better documentation.

Todd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 03:44:14 am »
I don't have any personal experience with the wiimote, but this thread seems the closest to getting it sorted out:
http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2411.0

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 10:17:47 am »
Yeah, the wiimote works great, although it currently doesn't start up auto on system boot - but it's only a matter of time before this is figured out.

You do however need a pair of ir sources for the pointer to work (otherwise it is just a gyro).

I picked up a wireless 'sensor bar' from ebay. It takes batteries so you don't need a wii to run it off. (you can use candles, but it is a bit unsightly for the purpose of a demo!).
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 02:16:17 pm »
Gazlang, is this the standard wireless sensor bar for the wii, or is it something special?

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2007, 02:26:29 pm »
Yes, actually I didn't realise amazon were selling them! I bought mine a while back, but didn't realise they were commercial now :-)
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2007, 04:00:09 pm »
Yeah, back when they first came out home users were hacking them. Now, you can go down to any neighborhood game store and pick one up. I also heard the range is far better with the battery powered models than the simple wired one that comes with the wii, so there's another thing for purchasing one.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2007, 07:26:55 am »
Would it be possible to have multiple orbiters, or is that just not a good idea, and I should just save it as a terminal?

One of the unique benefits of LMCE is that it will support as many orbiters/remotes as you want to use. And by selecting the room on the orbiter it moves to where-ever you want it. I can control any tv/device in the house from any orbiter anywhere. (Even over the web if the port is open).

The Samsung Q1 is possibly the best touchscreen but its pricy. And tablet PC will work since the windows orbiter will run on them.

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 08:08:23 am »
Hey, I'd like to make a banner. Where would I get a vector version of the LinuxMCE logo?

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2007, 12:34:36 pm »
Also updated system specs, this is going to be interesting. I'm going to add it to the Wiki once it's all up and running this weekend.

Saw some awesome deals at Fry's, so gonna go try the low-power route. We'll see what comes of it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 12:41:22 pm by RDAC »

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2007, 12:50:52 pm »
also, don't worry about Paul (the main LinuxMCE contact), he's very swamped at the moment with at LEAST 10 different things immediately on his plate (ranging from dealing with the pilot pressing of the official LinuxMCE DVDs, to the fixing of bugs that have cropped up during the update from Zap2it Labs to SchedulesDirect), with that said, it would have probably taken a while for him to reply back to you,

so yeah, it's probably best you post here.

-Thom

Anybody know how I could get hold of Paul about this? I'd love to have some to hand out at the show.

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 02:22:34 am »
For software freedom day, I went and started the build. So far, so good. Also spent some time helping others build kubuntu boxes, it's been a good day overall.

RDAC

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 06:35:35 pm »
Think I'm about to give up on this board. Got it running well on UI1, but UI2's not being cooperative. Probably going to switch boards today to the ECS GeForce6100SM-M I've got laying around here today.

I don't count the time as a loss, though. Learned quite a bit about xorg.conf and how to use vi, but since the newer board won't do UI2 w/ alpha blending, that's a showstopper.

Doing the swap out today, and we'll have a major build day on Wed. as well with the volunteers that will be manning the booth.

Still haven't heard from Cisco, Fiire, or Paul for that matter.