Author Topic: How to permanentely modify network configuration in Pluto?  (Read 4195 times)

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
How to permanentely modify network configuration in Pluto?
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:02:12 pm »
I'm running Pluto on a hybrid where initially there was only one network card.

Now I'm about to add a second network card, and since network configuration is stored into mysql and rewritten on every reboot I was expecting to find on Pluto Admin some page where I can add/modify what I need.
In the Advanced-> Network Settings page I can only find the current network configuration but there is no option to add/delete new interfaces.
There is an "Update" button but it seems to do nothing.

By reading on this forum I figured out a possible workaround, that consists in disabling the Network_Setup.sh script and modifying /etc/network/interfaces.
In this way changes are not overwritten and I can have the second network interface working.

Is this the proper procedure or am I missing something?

TIA
Marco

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 11:04:50 am »
You can change the database manually for now and it will be forward compatibile.

To see the actual value, you can browse the "pluto_main" database with either the console tool mysql or a graphical tool like TOra under Linux and SQLyog on Windows. Run this SQL statement to see the current value: SELECT IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData WHERE FK_DeviceData=32;. You should get only one row that looks like this: eth0,10.0.0.89,255.255.255.0,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.150|eth0:0,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0.

What you have to do is update that value by replacing "eth0:0" with "eth1".

This whole procedure is on my TODO list (combined with PPPoE), but I didn't get to it yet and I can't make any promises (sorry).

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
PPPOE Support
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 05:48:09 am »
how do i connect the core to the internet if i have a pppoe connection?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:06:35 am »
Also on a similar issue.

Is it safe to remove the eth0:0 part if the pluto core is only going to have one card and is not the internet gateway?

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
Re: PPPOE Support
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 10:34:49 am »
Quote from: "FrozenJackal"
how do i connect the core to the internet if i have a pppoe connection?

For now you have to do it manually:

Run "pppoeconf" and follow it's instructions, then change the database to the external interface is ppp0 instead of eth0.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 07:20:33 am »
Quote from: "radu.c"
You can change the database manually for now and it will be forward compatibile.

To see the actual value, you can browse the "pluto_main" database with either the console tool mysql or a graphical tool like TOra under Linux and SQLyog on Windows. Run this SQL statement to see the current value: SELECT IK_DeviceData FROM Device_DeviceData WHERE FK_DeviceData=32;. You should get only one row that looks like this: eth0,10.0.0.89,255.255.255.0,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.150|eth0:0,192.168.80.1,255.255.255.0.

What you have to do is update that value by replacing "eth0:0" with "eth1".

This whole procedure is on my TODO list (combined with PPPoE), but I didn't get to it yet and I can't make any promises (sorry).

Where can I find documentation on the meaning of the elements of this string? Could you explain in here? I suppose that one half configures the WAN card and the other configures the LAN card but there are too many IP addresses there.

archived

• Hello, I'm new here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 10:23:06 pm »
Could you explain in here?
eth0,10.0.0.89,255.255.255.0,10.0.0.1,10.0.0.150

eth0 = interface ID

10.0.0.89 = Local IP or IP assigned to the local interface (static or assigned via DHCP).

255.255.255.0 = Subnet mask (you usually do not have to change this)

10.0.0.1 = Default Gateway IP (usually your router leading to internet in a home network)

10.0.0.150 = should be the broadcast IP.