Author Topic: satellite tv in the usa  (Read 5656 times)

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
satellite tv in the usa
« on: November 07, 2007, 06:12:52 pm »
Hello.

I'm looking at satellite tv in the usa.  There are Two providers, dish network and direct tv.

Does anyone have any information on which one to choose as far as controllable hardware from LinuxMCE ?

Why not cable ??

Travelling in an old, refurbished motorhome or possibly having a second home somewhere else.  I want to be able to take it with me, especially in the motorhome.

marrandy

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: satellite tv in the usa
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:54:32 pm »

So, apparently, no-one here is the USA uses satellite TV.

So what do you all use.  Roadrunner cable/brighthouse or verizon ???

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 11:49:43 pm »
I wish I could tell you, I am looking for info on Dish Network at the moment as that is what I use at home.  I am planning a system, but it's looking so far to me that what I want to do will be a PITA as it does not seem Dish Network has receivers that are compatible with this outside an IR Blaster. I would prefer not to use IR blasters myself as that is just begging for issues it seems. 

I have read some older DTV receivers have serial ports so they can be controlled, but do not know which ones, or even if you can get them activated today.

1audio

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 06:55:23 am »
I have read that someone has figured out how to capture the digital stream directly but my searches have proven futile (since I don't use Sat I just gave up). Otherwise it seems it's IR blasters only.

ldisplay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 06:58:38 am »
there is another way to get dish but it is a little illegal so I don't know if I can post it.

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 04:42:35 pm »
there is another way to get dish but it is a little illegal so I don't know if I can post it.

Maybe you could you give us a detailed description of these illegal activities?  That way we can all avoid accidentally breaking the law out of ignorance...  ;D

I don't use sattelite myself.  But these things do fascinate me.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Jeff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 02:31:47 am »
He is talking about dvb-s cards and sasc, and a patch to myth that allows for their use together.  You would have to have one hell of a user unfriendly accident to break the law there. It involves downloading source, patching, then compiling it, and a hefty configuration and setup.  Put it this way, you would know it if ya do it, as there is only one goal on that path.

I (obviously) am also in the same hobby as him, Hell, we might even know of each other under different user names.... Small world!! LOL.   I have strongly considered the solution that he hints at, but I have a solution I prefer more, plastic is much less downtime.

Anyone interested in dvb-s piracy should hit up dvbn.happysat.org --- Sat piracy in general - dsstester.com.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 02:34:42 am by Jeff »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 03:56:29 am »
Well considering that I've been building entire operating systems that way for years now (by patching and compiling downloaded source code) that probably wouldn't be so hard to "accidentally" do for me. ;)  And I wasn't entirely serious.

Fortunatly around these parts we have a bit different legislation, basicly I can do whatever I want with a signal that's beamed into my house unasked (at least last time I checked).  Just as long as I'm not selling "solutions" like this I wouldn't be breaking any laws. 

For me it would be more of a gimmick anyway, and since I'm not even allowed to pay for the few channels that I'm actually interested in as they're part of the SKY channel package, and I'm outside of the UK (although I should have no problem receiving the signal).  So I wouldn't even feel the slightest guilt about it.

ldisplay was also kind enough to inform me in private where I could find more about these things.  So the next time I'm bored and have a bit of spare cash to waste on some equipment I might look into it more closely, if only just for the fun of it.  Anyway, thank you both for the hints, that should give me a good starting point.

"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

ldisplay

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:49:14 am »
He is talking about dvb-s cards and sasc, and a patch to myth that allows for their use together.  You would have to have one hell of a user unfriendly accident to break the law there. It involves downloading source, patching, then compiling it, and a hefty configuration and setup.  Put it this way, you would know it if ya do it, as there is only one goal on that path.

I (obviously) am also in the same hobby as him, Hell, we might even know of each other under different user names.... Small world!! LOL.   I have strongly considered the solution that he hints at, but I have a solution I prefer more, plastic is much less downtime.

Anyone interested in dvb-s piracy should hit up dvbn.happysat.org --- Sat piracy in general - dsstester.com.

I am mainly looking at a way to limit the amout of equipment that I have to have. sort of a all in one option.