Author Topic: 0704 Quick Install DVD installs, but no hardware detected in avwizard  (Read 6449 times)

japplegate

• View Profile
I've managed to get through the quick install DVD (apparently) without a hitch.  There were no errors during the install process.  However, the AVWizard doesn't detect either of my tuner cards, nor does it detect my StreamZap USB PC Remote.  I've installed and configured lirc, but I can't really test it yet.  Right now, I'm more concerned with getting LMCE to see my tuners.  The cards in question are 1) a Hauppauge PVR-250 MCE and 2) a pcHDTV 5500.  I've verified that they both show up in lspci, and the associated modules are loaded (cx88 and ivtv).  Once I get these cards recognized and doing what they're supposed to do, I'll worry about the remote.

Please let me know what specific information I need to post in addition to the above if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: 0704 Quick Install DVD installs, but no hardware detected in avwizard
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:51:21 am »
Are the devices created? They should be located in /dev/v4l and should have created the devices video0 and video1 (plus 4 others). You should also see those devices in the root of /dev (/dev/video0).

If they don't show up then at least we know the modules are detecting the cards. Try rmmod ivtv and then modprobe ivtv. That should put some related logging stuff in /var/log/messages and probably /var/log/dmsg.

japplegate

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 08:15:30 am »
Allrighty!  I've verified the existence of /dev/video0, video1, video24 and video32.  There is no /dev/v4l.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for in dmesg?

Thanks again!

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 09:29:49 am »
If the devices are created then dmesg probably won't help, but no I wasn't looking for anything specific, just an error after loading the module.

As to /dev/v4l, I guess that's normal. I'm just used to a different layout.

One thing I'm realizing, do you mean the Setup Wizard? This is accessible only after the A/V Wizard completes and you get a functioning Orbiter. You can get to it by selecting Advanced and then Setup Wizard.

If all that fails, I would recommend you see if mythtv-setup recognizes the card. You can get to that by going to your KDE desktop and selecting it from the menu.

japplegate

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 07:53:08 am »
You're probably right in correcting me regarding which wizard I'm talking about.  I'm not entirely sure there.  It's the wizard with the video clips of Sara walking through the setup, etc. so Setup wizard is likely right.  Sorry for the confusion.

Mythtv-setup can see both cards perfectly.  They just don't show up during setup.

Any more ideas?  I'm fresh out, since this is a "new" distro for me.  Before trying this one, I had a mostly functional Mythtv setup going under Feisty, with lirc and everything working.  I realize now that I should probably have read through forums before trying the install.  Ah, well.  Hindsight is always 20/20, right?  :)

Still trying!

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:35:25 am »

Mythtv-setup can see both cards perfectly.  They just don't show up during setup.

So why not just use mythtv-setup instead then?
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

japplegate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 09:29:14 pm »
I was under the impression that this was the forum for "LinuxMCE Installation Issues."  That being the case, wouldn't your suggestion of using MythTV-Setup be counter-productive?  This is still an issue for me.  If anyone has any constructive assistance they can offer, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all!

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:34:06 pm »
well....this is really just a guess...but....if mythtv is part of linuxmce and mythtv can detect them...wouldnt setting them up under mythtv-setup have them work under linuxmce??
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

Hagen

• Guru
  • LMCE wannabe user
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:39:57 pm »
I think that was what Zaerk meant

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 09:47:27 pm »
right.....so does that not sound right to you japplegate? what makes it so counter productive?? sounded like good sense to me....
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

japplegate

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 11:07:02 pm »
What might the reasons be for the setup wizard to NOT see the installed hardware when other applications apparently can?  This seems to be an issue of LinuxMCE's wizard being unable to "see" hardware that is properly installed in the machine, and visible to the OS and other applications regardless of whether those applications are part of the LinuxMCE installation.

Maybe it would help if I re-state the issue from a slightly different perspective, if you'll all indulge me.

During LinuxMCE's installation process, (the part where we're guided by Sara(sp?)), it shows a "box" (for want of a more accurate term) which should list the capture devices which are installed in the machine.  My understanding is that this is where my TV tuners should show up and be selectable, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there.  In my case, this "box" remains completely black, and nothing is selectable.

Now, regardless of whether mythtv-setup can see these devices, (and regardless of the fact that mythtv-setup is part of LinuxMCE,) aren't they supposed to show up during LinuxMCE's install process?  Again, please correct me if this is an incorrect assumption.

My point here is that this is an "installation issue" for LinuxMCE and nothing more.  It should be investigated and (depending on what is found, if anything) fixed, shouldn't it?

I am fully capable of hacking at my system to make it do what I want within the context of making it perform the functions of a PVR, but I was under the impression that LinuxMCE was supposed to simplify the process so that I wouldn't have to.  If this is not the case, then what is the point of the existence of the LinuxMCE distribution?

I apologize if the tone of this post seems anything but clear-headed and relevant.  My goal here isn't "make my computer be a PVR," but more of "do what I can to make LinuxMCE a better and more functional product without any programming ability."

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 11:19:22 pm »
like i said....it was only a guess that that would even work that way.

did you try this?

http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-PVR-250

just cause to me, if it works in one it should work overall doesnt mean thats exactly right.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

darrenmason

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2007, 01:25:34 am »
Japplegate,

It appears that you have found a bug with the installation process and even though others have suggested ways to get it working it still remains a bug with the install and should be fixed to give a seamless install.

I would suggest that you log it in the mantis bug reporting database (there is a link from the main page)

Make sure you include all detail you can including facts like it is detected by mythtv_setup etc

Regards
Darren