Author Topic: adding new media sub-types  (Read 3430 times)

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
adding new media sub-types
« on: September 02, 2007, 05:09:57 am »
I am curious on how to add new media sub-types via the web-admin if possible (I am guessing it should be possible by injecting the appropriate SQL, but.. would like to see if there is a user-accessible way).. I collect a _TON_ of stand-up comedy DVDs and would like to filter those in the media view appropriately, any ideas?

-Thom

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: adding new media sub-types
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:34:50 am »
Hi Thom (or anyone else),

Did you ever work out how to do this? Do I need to manually edit an SQL table content? I have seen others post this question as well (http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=2055.0) but could not find the answer... Nothing on the Wiki either.

Cheers,
WR

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:27:15 am »
Have you tried creating a "genre" for this, then filter from the genre menu?

wombiroller

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:24:08 pm »
Have you tried creating a "genre" for this, then filter from the genre menu?

thanks colinjones - I had not tried this - but I have now. Seems to work great. Thanks  ;D

Now if i could only find an easier way to edit multiple file genres at once. Can be a little tough to do lots of media like this. Might have to stick with sort by filename for the moment...

colinjones

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:25:55 am »
At risk of repeating myself from another thread, but for completeness....

Attributes can be edited/created both manually and via the UpdateMedia script that runs regularly. UpdateMedia will pull id3 tags in from mp3s and write them into the database. So using an id3 tag editor or just the file properties in Windows, you can quickly set all the tags you want and LMCE will pull them all in for you automatically.

Only problem is, UpdateMedia only looks at embedded tags in audio files like mp3s. Video is creates a separate file as not all container formats support embedded tags. So unless you can create these .id3 tags its gonna be hard to use this method for video....