Author Topic: question about upcoming switch to schedulesdirect for mythtv data.  (Read 4897 times)

rwilson131

• Veteran
    • View Profile
I have been watching the mythtv mailing list, and a significant change is in the works concerning the way guide data is received.  The normal guide data services is canceling service starting 9/1/2007.  The mythtv and xmltv guys have started a new service called http://www.schedulesdirect.org/ this service is supposed to take the place of the datadirect service currently in use. 

I also noticed that a recent SVN commit added this new guide data into the --fixes branch, which is the current branch used in LinuxMCE (I believe). 

This new service is not free, but does require a subscription.  unfortunately there does not appear to be many other options for North American users. 

Any word on updating mythtv to the most recent --fixes branch so we can utilize this service if we desire.

Thanks,

Rob

mbierman

• First post!
    • View Profile
Re: question about upcoming switch to schedulesdirect for mythtv data.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 08:16:52 pm »
I am about to give LinuxMCE a try for the first time and it the XMLTV guide data is a big part of my decision about choosing LinuxMCE so I'm anxious to hear a reply to this question too.

GoManutd

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 11:49:59 pm »
There is going to be a switch and the web page states that there will be a fee - though they're mentioning it may be something like $5 for 3 months...

I signed up for an account for two reasons.  1.  To get notified about the upcoming switch 2.  Hopefully existing users will get a further break on the fee.

Supposedly, the initial $5/3 month fee may be decreased I guess if they get enough folks to sign up....

Either way, there isn't another data services that I know of that will provide the needed data for that price.

dopey

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 12:44:40 am »
Actually it's $15 for 3 months, but they plan on lowering that with the goal being $20 a year.

Still no word on what is being done about this in LinuxMCE yet, but I'm hoping that's just because they are too busy trying to get it out the door before Sep. 1...

karib

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 05:21:30 am »
Just wanted to add to the list the info on the ubuntu MythTV 20.2 packages posted to the MythTV user list:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=3265344#post3265344

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 07:54:49 am »
Hoochster already paved a good part of the way to upgrading:
Updating MythTV with the latest SVN Howto I guess now someone just needs to figure out how to glue the LMCE integration back on. 
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous