Author Topic: [SOLVED!!!] Is it possible to set the resolution to 1366x768?  (Read 13241 times)

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
[SOLVED!!!] Is it possible to set the resolution to 1366x768?
« on: August 19, 2007, 09:03:10 am »
My 40" LCD TV has a native resolution of 1366x768@66hz.

Is there a way to set this in Linux? I tried following this guide:
http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/Display_Drivers

I have googled a lot, but I cannot find anything on this subject... Does the Nvidia drivers support it? Does LinuxMCE support it?
The GFX adapter is a Gforce 8600GT.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 02:14:00 am by cirion »

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to set the resolution to 1366x768?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 03:24:34 pm »
Yes it should be possible.  Try this:

#sudo nvidia-settings

That will launch the nvidia utility that will allow you to configure your display. It should give you the option to select any resolution that's supported by your monitor.  If you don't see 1366x768 in the list then it probably isn't supported by the interface that you are using (DVI, VGA, etc).

Once you have the display looking nice you can save the settings to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  There's an option in the utility to save the settings to a file.  At his point you need to reboot or restart the X session. The next time you launch LMCE it may try to modify the xorg.conf to add in the missing options to support UI2.  Make you you back up your xorg.conf once you have it working :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 03:33:25 pm by cckrobinson »

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 02:13:20 am »
I finally got it working!!!

I'm now running LinuxMCE 0710 beta, but this should work as well in 0704.
I never got this working in earlier Nvidia drivers.

I installed the latest Nvidia driver, found here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.04.html

Just download the file and press CTRL+ALT+F1 and log in as root (linuxmce if you used the DVD like me)
Type the following.

sudo telinit 1
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.04-pkg1.run

And follow the installation.
After reboot run the AVWizard by press and hold the shift button during start.
Select 1024x768 and complete the wizard.

After it boots edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You can do this in KDE if you like by typing this in a shell:
sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In section Monitor remove all lines except Identifier and Option "DPMS"

In section Device set Option "useedid" "true"

In section Screen, change all 1024x768 to 1366x768

Save the file and reboot

After the reboot my Core started rebuilding and the GUI became 1366x768@66hz.
KDE also starts in 1366x768@66hz.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 02:15:29 am by cirion »

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 07:54:41 pm »
I finally got it working!!!

I'm now running LinuxMCE 0710 beta, but this should work as well in 0704.
I never got this working in earlier Nvidia drivers.

I installed the latest Nvidia driver, found here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.04.html

Just download the file and press CTRL+ALT+F1 and log in as root (linuxmce if you used the DVD like me)
Type the following.

sudo telinit 1
sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.04-pkg1.run

And follow the installation.
After reboot run the AVWizard by press and hold the shift button during start.
Select 1024x768 and complete the wizard.

After it boots edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
You can do this in KDE if you like by typing this in a shell:
sudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In section Monitor remove all lines except Identifier and Option "DPMS"

In section Device set Option "useedid" "true"

In section Screen, change all 1024x768 to 1366x768

Save the file and reboot

After the reboot my Core started rebuilding and the GUI became 1366x768@66hz.
KDE also starts in 1366x768@66hz.

Well, I tried the above and unfortunately it didn't work for me...  My lcd has a native resolution of 1366x768 and I've been wanting to utilize it with lmce because the only resolution I got to work with lmce is 720p and unfortunately, no matter how I adjust the size of the screen, there is always a small 1/4-3/8 inch line at the bottom of my screen that isn't utilized..

So I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia per the above post and then took the extra step of changing the Resolutions.conf file to show 1366x768 in the AVwizard also...  well, unfortunately after installing the new Nvidia drivers, the changes it made to my xorg.conf file screwed something up because now the avwizard won't display now.

So then I manually edited the xorg.conf file and changed the resolution from 1280x720 to 1366x768, rebooted, system started rebuilding, then when it finally came up, my screen was zoomed in so that probably 25% was 'off' the edges of the screen all the way around...  completely unusable....  the only thing I didn't do was remove the additional lines in Monitor section and change the 'useedid' Option to true...

So I tried again manually editing the xorg.conf file and making the changes above that I didn't do the first time.... rebooted..  system started rebuilding again.... screen came up and was viewable again..  however I still had the small unused line at the bottom of my screen..  so I logged back in and looked at my xorg.conf file...  somehow everything reverted back to 1280x720...  and now I'm having video tearing during playback that I didn't have to start with....  so I think I should have left everything alone....  now I need to go back in and fix everything...

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
Re: [SOLVED!!!] Is it possible to set the resolution to 1366x768?
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 08:33:52 pm »
I am having the same problem no matter what I can not get 1366 x768
Tried above post to no avail, now my xorg.conf keeps getting overwritten and get set back to vesa.
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 08:51:19 pm »
So I tried again manually editing the xorg.conf file and making the changes above that I didn't do the first time.... rebooted..  system started rebuilding again.... screen came up and was viewable again..  however I still had the small unused line at the bottom of my screen..  so I logged back in and looked at my xorg.conf file...  somehow everything reverted back to 1280x720...  and now I'm having video tearing during playback that I didn't have to start with....  so I think I should have left everything alone....  now I need to go back in and fix everything...

So this problem isn't really "SOLVED" as it says in the topice title ;). I hope to see the solution when one is found.

tkmedia

• wants to work for LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • LMCECompatible
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 09:00:51 pm »
So this problem isn't really "SOLVED" as it says in the topic title Wink. I hope to see the solution when one is found.

At least for some of us.
My Setup http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Tkmedia

For LinuxMce compatible  systems and accessories
http://lmcecompatible.com/

RichardP

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 12:15:42 am »

So this problem isn't really "SOLVED" as it says in the topice title ;). I hope to see the solution when one is found.

I doubt you will be able to solve the problem without a change of hardware. My card is an NVidia 7300 GT. If I look in /var/log/xorg.0.log, it lists all the resolutions that it is capable of, and for my card, 1366x768 is not among them. However, I'm connected to a standard TV using SVideo, and although I don't think that it is, it may be restricting that resolution because my SVideo can't support it. I'd really like to see the log file of others, to see what the different NVidia cards are cabable of. If it's not too much trouble, can you guys PM me your log files?

Best Regards,
Richard.
Best Regards,
Richard

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 07:10:31 am »

I started the topic, and I solved it for me... So YES I had to set the topic to SOLVED :)

I'm willing to help those that do not get it to work.

Here is a full copy of my xorg.conf:
Code: [Select]
Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "XFree86 Configured"
Screen   0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
FontPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "record"
Load "xtrap"
Load "speedo"
Load "type1"
Load "glx"
Load "int10"
Load "v4l"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" "basic"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Unknown Vendor Name"
BoardName "Unknown Board Name"
Option "LinearAlloc" "16384"
#BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Modes "1366x768"
Virtual 1366 768
EndSubSection
Option "TVStandard" "1366x768"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
Option "BlankTime" "0"
Option "StandbyTime" "0"
Option "SuspendTime" "0"
Option "OffTime" "0"
Option "AIGLX" "Off"
EndSection
Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "true"
Option "RENDER" "true"
EndSection
Take a look at the 3 sections Monitor, Device and Screen. Those are the only ones I changed.
Dont forget to install the latest Nvidia driver.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 07:20:32 am »
Well, I tried the above and unfortunately it didn't work for me...  My lcd has a native resolution of 1366x768 and I've been wanting to utilize it with lmce because the only resolution I got to work with lmce is 720p and unfortunately, no matter how I adjust the size of the screen, there is always a small 1/4-3/8 inch line at the bottom of my screen that isn't utilized..

So I installed the latest drivers from Nvidia per the above post and then took the extra step of changing the Resolutions.conf file to show 1366x768 in the AVwizard also...  well, unfortunately after installing the new Nvidia drivers, the changes it made to my xorg.conf file screwed something up because now the avwizard won't display now.

So then I manually edited the xorg.conf file and changed the resolution from 1280x720 to 1366x768, rebooted, system started rebuilding, then when it finally came up, my screen was zoomed in so that probably 25% was 'off' the edges of the screen all the way around...  completely unusable....  the only thing I didn't do was remove the additional lines in Monitor section and change the 'useedid' Option to true...

I have tried this on several machines and it works every time :)
I have also learned that there is no need to enter the AvWizard after installing the driver, I just edit the xorg.conf straight after installing it.
I have also cleaned the xorg.conf considerably. Take at the xorg.conf from my previus post.
Every time you change a resolution in xorg.conf, the UI will rebuild after a restart so that it matches the resolution.

If anyone finds a solution to fix the tearing during playback, please tell... For me it's actually better than earlier, but it's still there but now with a crisp pixel perfect resolution :)

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 03:01:17 pm »

I have also learned that there is no need to enter the AvWizard after installing the driver, I just edit the xorg.conf straight after installing it.
I have also cleaned the xorg.conf considerably. Take at the xorg.conf from my previus post.
Every time you change a resolution in xorg.conf, the UI will rebuild after a restart so that it matches the resolution.

If anyone finds a solution to fix the tearing during playback, please tell... For me it's actually better than earlier, but it's still there but now with a crisp pixel perfect resolution :)

I appreciate you posting your xorg.conf in its entirety..  I actually was meaning to ask you to do that...  I'm going to take a closer look at yours and mine...  I really wish I hadn't forgotten to make a copy of my original xorg.conf before installing the new nvidia driver..  I have a feeling that we are missing something that we could probably find in the original xorg.conf file that is causing the tearing issues...  maybe someone here on the forum who hasn't changed drivers after install or edited their xorg.conf file could post theirs??  I'd really like to see someone's xorg.conf file who has a clean 7.10 beta install and are using a Nvidia 6150..

Matthew

• Douchebag
  • Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 04:37:13 pm »

I appreciate your continuing to help even after you've solved your own version of this problem. I don't even have a 1366x768 monitor, or any similar problems (yet), but I know what it's like to google up pages like this one later, and spend time trying to figure out why it doesn't work, even though it says "solved" :). So a complete general solution would be great, now that a partial solution hints what the general problem really is (card/monitor HW resolution incompatibility aside).

Does the AVWizard reflect all your manual changes to xorg.conf? If so (and probably even if not), would you please open an issue in Mantis explaining what you did, and asking for your technique to be automated into the LMCE installer and other config automation? It should be in a script so it's a dead issue.

cirion

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 07:30:37 pm »
I have now tried the same xorg.conf with UI2 Overlay (No Alpha blending) and there is no tearing at all....

rrambo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 07:34:24 pm »
I have now tried the same xorg.conf with UI2 Overlay (No Alpha blending) and there is no tearing at all....

Awesome...  thanks for your help.....  I'll give mine a try tonight...

prettymg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2008, 09:14:49 am »
This is going to sound really weird, but bear with me.  After the numerous attempts to get my video card functioning correctly, I decided to load Kunbutu 7.10 by itself and to my amazement, when the the live cd booted up, display looked amazing.  It displayed 1366x768, my native resolution.  I checked the display settings and saw that it was using the "nv" driver, which I thought was bogus in 7.04.  Is there any way to load MCE on top of an install of 7.10 like you could with 7.04?  Or if anyone has a fix for my microscopic font with the Quick install DVD.

Thanks
MG