Author Topic: Adding unknown TV for ir control  (Read 3269 times)

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Adding unknown TV for ir control
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:43:47 am »
I just got my usb-uirt in and it's automatically detected but I'm not sure off how to add a tv to be controlled. My first instinct was "Wizard -> Devices -> A/V Equipment" but my tv isn't listed (I did add a manufacturer for it). What's the proper way to add a new tv/remote so that LMCE can control it through usb-uirt? -Ruben

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
Re: Adding unknown TV for ir control
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 12:57:21 am »
See: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/Add_support_for_new_remote_controls that seems to describe what you are looking for.
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 08:48:28 am »
Yes, that is indeed what I needed, but now I've come across another problem. Even though the usb-uirt lights up when I press a button on the remote, I can't get irrecord or irw to see any of the input. I'm pretty sure they should be compatible because I hooked everything up to my windows pc and used eventghost to capture all of the raw ir codes (so I can hopefully make a config if nothing else works) and used the same codes back through the usb-uirt to control the tv. Everything worked fine. I noticed that my LMCE hybrid doesn't have any of the lirc stuff on it, is this a mistake? Thanks for the help! -Ruben

nite_man

• NEEDS to work for LinuxMCE
  • Want to work with LinuxMCE
    • View Profile
    • Smart Home Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 09:06:06 am »
You should add appropriate remote control on the media director main page. After that package lirc will be installed. If you add a template for a new remote you have to copy content of lircd.conf into template property 'Configuration'. Don't update /etc/lircd.conf directly. It'll be overridden by LinuxMCE after you restart router.

To check your remote use irw utility. 
Michael Stepanov,
My setup: http://wiki.linuxmce.org/index.php/User:Nite_man#New_setup
Russian LinuxMCE community: http://linuxmce.ru

elspic

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:48:08 am »
The reason I was doing it the hard way is my remote isn't listed. In this case should I just add a generic device to get things installed? And I'm sorry, I should have been more clear:

On the LMCE machine that I'd actually like to use the usb-uirt with, none of the lirc stuff is installed, including irw, irrecord, or /etc/lirc so I can plug in the usb-uirt, but I can't check it with irw or irrecord
I have a laptop with ubuntu 7.04 on it and installed lirc in hopes of creating a config file that I could import into LMCE. I can get irrecord to run, and I can see the led on the usb-uirt lighting up, but the program never gets any input (no dots appear). I'm thinking this is more a problem for the lirc or usb-uirt forum though. -Ruben