Author Topic: Can't start A/V Wizard  (Read 4843 times)

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
Can't start A/V Wizard
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:01:11 pm »
I want to change the resolution from 640/480 to ANYTHING higher. I try to do it and it says the machine will restart and the wizard will begin after it boots up. It hangs with a black screen when it tries to boot up. Then i have to reset the machine and when it boots back up, no wizard. Can i change the xorg.conf and get it to work that way and not using the wizard. I have an nVidia 7300 GT card....i have read the 6 series cards are work....could the 7 series be the problem?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
Lite-On LH-20A1S SATA DVD Burner
80GB  SATA-150
EVGA GeForce 7300 GT 512MB DDR2 PCI Express
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Kingston 2 GB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

uplink

• Administrator
  • Guru
  • Linux and LinuxMCE witchdoctor
    • View Profile
Re: Can't start A/V Wizard
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 04:21:39 pm »
Hi, can you attempt to see what's going on when the AVWizard runs and leaves you at a black screen? You can try to switch to a console (Control+Alt+Fnumber) or SSH in, and then look at the process list (make sure AVWizard started or is attempting to start), the AVWizard log (located here: /var/log/pluto/AVWizard.log), the xorg.conf file that AVWizard's X server uses (/etc/X11/xorg.conf.pluto.avwizard), in an attempt to see what goes wrong there.

kir

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 04:27:12 pm »
I want to change the resolution from 640/480 to ANYTHING higher. I try to do it and it says the machine will restart and the wizard will begin after it boots up. It hangs with a black screen when it tries to boot up. Then i have to reset the machine and when it boots back up, no wizard. Can i change the xorg.conf and get it to work that way and not using the wizard. I have an nVidia 7300 GT card....i have read the 6 series cards are work....could the 7 series be the problem?

Hi!

I had the similar issue - in my case it was happening because I had display connected to VGA, but the AVWizard somehow was outputting by default to DVI. Maybe you have the same issue: have you seen the following step: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/AVWizard_running_steps  - note the text If instead of AV Wizard you see black screen or "no signal" message on display, try to switch the connector type as it is described in section II  -- this will allow you to press number to specify connection type VGA, DVI etc. In my case, I pressed "2" to choose VGA and after couple of seconds blinking, the AVWizard restarted with outputting to VGA connector. :)

Regards, Kir

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 06:34:09 pm »
hmmmm....that could be it....i dont really remember now if its using dvi or vga on there. i will check that when i get home. thanks.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

teedge77

• Addicted
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 04:00:12 pm »
OK. So last night i checked the vga/DVI output. It was on DVI and when i changed it to VGA the A/V wizard ran fine...almost. I selected DVI and set the reolution to 1600X1200@60. The screen shows some work then goes black. Then it comes back and VGA is selected. I tried changing the cable to DVI a few times after seleting it. It just doesnt seem to want to use my DVI port at more than 640X480. Does it really matter? Any reason i should want to use the DVI over the VGA? I do still get the 1600X1200@60 resolution with the VGA which looks great. The one thing i can think of is that someday i will want to run a DVI cable to my projector to use LinuxMCE. I guess i can use an adapter....but....still....you know? Any suggestions on getting DVI to work correctly or even suggestions why it doesnt?
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Asus M2V Via AM2 ATX
80GB  SATA-150
Sound Blaster Audigy SE
Ultra X-Finity 800-Watt
ZCU000
Cisco 7970
TDM400P

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 07:28:11 pm »
Some TV's can be very fussy over DVI.  Usually fewer resolutions are supported. You should check your manual to see what is supported over DVI.  VGA is generally much more forgiving.  Try doing a google search for a modeline for your TV.  Chances are that someone else has already figured it out for you.  If you find a valid modeline then you can plug it into your xorg.conf and you should be good to go.  If you can't get it to work then stick with VGA.  1600x1200 VGA is much better than 640x480 DVI.   You projector might work fine with DVI, so you can try it again when you need to cross that bridge.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:39:24 am by cckrobinson »

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 03:37:26 am »
I ran into this as well when adding my laptop as a diskless MD, turns out it chose to use the VGA-out instead of the built in screen and connected TV.  Pressing "1" fixed it, "2" puts it back on the VGA monitor and "3" tries to use the TV-out, I think, which keeps crashing to textmode on my lappy. 

So, as said earlier, if you get no signal or screen, hook up as many outputs as you can and try pressing "1", wait a while, then "2" and so on, untill you see the AVWizard (or it keeps going back and forth to text mode, in which case I suggest to reboot and try again).
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

LoSt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2007, 05:22:27 am »

Hi!

I had the similar issue - in my case it was happening because I had display connected to VGA, but the AVWizard somehow was outputting by default to DVI. Maybe you have the same issue: have you seen the following step: http://wiki.linuxmce.com/index.php/AVWizard_running_steps  - note the text If instead of AV Wizard you see black screen or "no signal" message on display, try to switch the connector type as it is described in section II  -- this will allow you to press number to specify connection type VGA, DVI etc. In my case, I pressed "2" to choose VGA and after couple of seconds blinking, the AVWizard restarted with outputting to VGA connector. :)

Regards, Kir

sweet. the wizard helped. I was getting pretty frustrated with the black screens and "out of range" errors. Now I wish nVidia would support 1080p. Max I could get was 720p.

Using GeForce NX7600GS 256MB AGP card to a 50" Sony SXRD TV via DVI to HDMI cable.