Author Topic: A few questions  (Read 4593 times)

fenderocker

• View Profile
A few questions
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:08:31 am »
I have a few questions about linux mce that I want to know the answer to before I install.

1. I already have some movies ripped as avi files, can I use these with linux mce, or do I have to re-rip the dvds? If yes, can I use any media format that xine will play with linux mce?

2. Is it really necessary to have a TV at each media director, or can I just use a monitor?

3. If I use the core with only one network card, and have it as the DHCP server, do I lose any functionality as compared to have it with the dual network card "Firewall" setup?

4. Does the core need a lot of ram and a good processor, or can I just use an old PC with a big HD?

5. I'm thinking of installing within the next week or so. Is the beta 2 stable enough to install/will the stable version be coming out that soon? Should I stick with version 1.0 for now?

6. Can a USB webcam attached to the core a be watched live from media directors?

7. Can two media directors be watching the same movie/tv channel at once?

8. If I have a VCR hooked up to my core, can I control it (rewind/pause etc.) from the media directors?

Thanks in advance!

cckrobinson

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: A few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 05:36:40 pm »
I have a few questions about linux mce that I want to know the answer to before I install.

1. I already have some movies ripped as avi files, can I use these with linux mce, or do I have to re-rip the dvds? If yes, can I use any media format that xine will play with linux mce?
Xine plays back .avi files nicely.  You can playback anything the xine supports.

2. Is it really necessary to have a TV at each media director, or can I just use a monitor?
I don't see why you couldn't use a monitor.

3. If I use the core with only one network card, and have it as the DHCP server, do I lose any functionality as compared to have it with the dual network card "Firewall" setup?
Not sure.  I'm currently using 1 network card, and I haven't come across any restrictions.
4. Does the core need a lot of ram and a good processor, or can I just use an old PC with a big HD?
Depends what you are doing with the core.  If you are trying to record 4 HD streams at once and serve up video/music to the whole house then a fair amount of RAM would be wise.
5. I'm thinking of installing within the next week or so. Is the beta 2 stable enough to install/will the stable version be coming out that soon? Should I stick with version 1.0 for now?
I would personally wait until 1.1 Beta3 or whatever they call it. 1.1 is definitely more stable than 1.0.

6. Can a USB webcam attached to the core a be watched live from media directors?

7. Can two media directors be watching the same movie/tv channel at once?

8. If I have a VCR hooked up to my core, can I control it (rewind/pause etc.) from the media directors?

Thanks in advance!

fenderocker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 06:52:12 pm »
thanks for the response. I think the setup I wanted to have seems to be fairly plausible. Does anyone have answers to my other questions.

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 11:46:48 am »
6. there is a function in linuxmce for security for using a security camera. but, after my opinion you can use also a usb camera only if it si supported by linux.
7. yes
8. you can control it if it has an interface to communicate with the computer (a serial port) and the serial codes.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

fenderocker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 04:51:53 am »
thanks. My webcam is supported (I have it running on an ubuntu box right now) so I could use it with linux mce, right?

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 08:48:27 am »
thanks. My webcam is supported (I have it running on an ubuntu box right now) so I could use it with linux mce, right?
yes, it should work.
Read the F****** Logs!!!