Author Topic: Media streaming  (Read 6732 times)

wsuetholz

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Media streaming
« on: June 07, 2007, 06:32:20 pm »
Hello,
  I would like to know if it is possible to have the media playback be multicast?  Like VLC can do.  Where you have a VLC server running streaming the video/audio out, and multiple VLC clients can be viewing the same stream.

I'm not sure I like the remote file mounting for media that seems to prevalent for media center PCs.  I'd even like the pictures to be streamed this way as well.  If there are any MDs in screen saver mode, then the screen saver should be running on the core streaming out to any MDs that care, when all of the MDs are active, then the screen saver can sleep for a while.

Don't know if this really belongs in users or not..

Bill

Cj_MaN

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Media streaming
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 10:31:56 pm »
What you what it's possible:
1.Go to an OnScreen Orbiter
2.Press Media -> Video and play a file
2.1.If you are in the room where this MD is situated, the this media will play on you're screen
2.2.If you are in other room, then the media will play on that Md Display, and you'll get a remote control only.
To change the room press the Room button situated on the bottom of the screen

3.After you've started the media playback
Press F7 to see the Main Menu.
4.Press Media button and go to Floorplan
Here you'll see al your MDs. From here you can:
 - see what media is playing on every MD by clicking on that MD
 - transfer media playback from one Md to an Other MD
 - play the same media that's playing on one MD to other MDs

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:54:59 pm »

3.After you've started the media playback
Press F7 to see the Main Menu.
4.Press Media button and go to Floorplan
Here you'll see al your MDs. From here you can:
 - see what media is playing on every MD by clicking on that MD
 - transfer media playback from one Md to an Other MD
 - play the same media that's playing on one MD to other MDs

All these are really functional ?

AFAIK it was just a wish in Pluto to have such features. VLC implementation actually didn't work at all on one-to-many streaming. Last thing I remember is that some effort has been done to make Xine player with those features, but I'm not sure of any progress....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

norcal

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 03:42:51 am »
I think the last time i tried to have music playing in multiple rooms in the house, the audio was way out of sync (very annoying) and the audio would stop after the first song in the play list. Can anyone confirm it is functioning now?

totallymaxed

• LinuxMCE God
  • Smart Home Consulting
    • View Profile
    • Dianemo - at home with technology
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 06:03:52 pm »
I think the last time i tried to have music playing in multiple rooms in the house, the audio was way out of sync (very annoying) and the audio would stop after the first song in the play list. Can anyone confirm it is functioning now?

I can confirm that that audio/video playback in multiple rooms is still (in our experience) not quite in sync... but better than it has ever been in earlier Pluto releases. However we still see playback fail after the first track in a playlist as you describe.

The other issue is I am not sure how multi-rrom playback is being achieved? Is it being achieved using multi cast streams?
Andy Herron,
CHT Ltd

For Dianemo/LinuxMCE consulting advice;
@herron on Twitter, totallymaxed+inquiries@gmail.com via email or PM me here.

Get Dianemo-Rpi2 ARM Licenses http://forum.linuxmce.org/index.php?topic=14026.0

Get RaspSqueeze-CEC or Raspbmc-CEC for Dianemo/LinuxMCE: http://wp.me/P4KgIc-5P

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dianemo-Home-Automation/226019387454465

http://www.dianemo.co.uk

bulek

• Administrator
  • wants to work for LinuxMCE
  • Living with LMCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 11:29:19 pm »
Hi,

if I remember right, then someone mentioned that Xine player wrapper is being worked on to replace VLC for multiroom audio... Maybe this is the result.....

Regards,

Bulek.
Thanks in advance,

regards,

Bulek.

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:18:20 pm »
I understand that some videos can be streamed or at least played in multple mds using the floorplan (it works for me with dvd rips, but not HD).   But what about music is it suppose to be working... I don't get sound... the mds switch and on screen its indicates that there is something suppose to be playing but it only sounds on the originally played md.

is it suppose to work? or is this a work in progress feature?

joerod

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 04:35:18 am »
FYI** It worked great after changing music ripping to mp3 instead of ogg and reripping the cd

sambuca

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 07:52:56 am »
The xine player does allow streaming of media to several destinations, and has for as long as I know (I used it first in at least 710). But it is out of sync. Near perfect sync can be achieved, the squeezeboxes do this, but the xine player has no special handling to maintain sync.

And not all media formats works. I think this has to do with the "streamability" of a particular format and xine's support for that format. It might be that a newer xine version would help in this regard.

The xine player uses xine's slave function, where one xine outputs the stream to a network port, which other players can access using a slave://192.168.80.1:xxx/something url.

If the media stop after the first track, I would file a bug report for it, as that would seem like a bug.

best regards,
sambuca