Author Topic: Good remote for LinuxMCE?  (Read 14065 times)

Hoochster

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Good remote for LinuxMCE?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 10:50:36 pm »
Personally for ease, I like the Mickeysoft Winblows MCE Remote.  The IR Blaster is supported, not sure bout the blaster part.  That reminds me, has anyone gotten the blaster to work with LinuxMCE, would be nice to not have to add another device.  I have drivers to make it work, just never have used them.  Anyways, it is a nice little remote for what it is.  I have a Wii, so thinking of trying the Wiimote thing just to see what it is like. 

sandos

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 06:32:22 am »
I would love to see the wiimote working "properly" in linuxmce. I am going to start using either MythTV or LinuxMCE soon enough "for real", and the wiimote is really my preferred pointing device.

atreidae

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2007, 03:31:24 pm »
Ive got the wiimote drivers running on ubuntu w/ media center, i just need to write some scripts to emulate the mouse.
project for the next few days.

gazlang

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2007, 06:32:29 pm »
If you do get the wiimote working in LMCE as a mouse (bonus with the media, climate, and menu buttons!!). I'd be grateful if you would post a howto here!!
A lot of people are keen on the wiimote idea
AMD Athlon 5800+ X2
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe
2x Corsair XMS6400 DDR2 512mb
Samsung 400GB SATA + 500GB SATA
nVidia GeForce 7300GT
Hauppauge Nova-T 500
Hauppauge PVR-500
Thermaltake low-noise 450w PSU
Thermaltake Bach Case w/ imon vfd
Fiire Remote
UIRT

Zaerc

• Alumni
  • LinuxMCE God
  • Department of Redundancy Department.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:26:18 pm »
"Change is inevitable. Progress is optional."
-- Anonymous

Farthen

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 05:31:14 pm »
@eddy_alfatec
this gyro mouse works very nice in linuxmce. it is recognized and installed automatically.

In other Posts I read, that they are not working very good, so I'm a bit confused.

Does anyone have this remote working ??? Does every feature work, that works for the FiireChief exept from "FollowMe"(I won't need it, because I will only have one htpc) ???
I would like to buy it, because the FiireChief is very expensive.

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2008, 04:39:29 pm »
The Gyro Mouse will allow you to control the LMCE Orbiter if properly configured. But it is a bit clunky and controlling MythTV without a number of buttons is impossible.

The basic preference of remote controls is:

FiireChiefHas follow me + buttons are programmed sanely out of the box
Gyration RemoteNeeds to be configured but works well with the Orbiter and has enough functional buttons to control MythTV. 10 of the buttons don't work with X so you are button constrained.
LIRC remotesThese generally require some configuration and they do not give you the sexy gyro control of the orbiter, but I have found the grey remote that comes with a PVR-250 to have just the right number of buttons and a good hand feel. Obviously with IR you have a very large selection of mice. Some people even use the TiVo remote from their retired TiVo boxes
Cell Phone/PDAAs noted by others in the thread you can actually use web control and even Orbiter Cell Phone applications to control LMCE, this can be a bit clunky and I would only recommend it as a secondary means of control, like when you can't find the remote or want to schedule a recording when you hear about some new TV program on the radio while on the train to work.
Keyboard/MouseThe Gyration mouse would fall into this category, it gives you convenient control of the Orbiter, while the keyboard allows you to use all the functionality in the various applications. This is a little more immediate than PDA control, and practically everyone has these around, but I only use these as a last resort since the keyboard is to big to be lugging around and a mouse can be difficult to use at a distance (even the Gyration mouse feels too heavy for me to use comfortably, but of course this is a subjective opinion).

Some people really love their infrared remotes and would put LIRC above the Gyration Remote. I don't have a FiireChief, yet, but from what I've read from people who have one it is very nice, which I believe since I have a Gyration Remote and it really helps with the UI2 Orbiter control. If you were not installing LinuxMCE and only using MythTV, any good infrared remote could be made to work really well with LIRC, but the MythTV devs are working on gesture control for MythTV so I expect that the FiireChief or Gyration Remote would become desirable even for MythTV alone sometime after the 0.21 release.

tschak909

• LinuxMCE God
  • DOES work for LinuxMCE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2008, 05:55:27 pm »
I also use a Nokia 770, a Tatung WebPad, a Cisco 7970, and my laptop as remotes.. all running the Orbiter software. Don't discount those.

-Thom

Farthen

• Making baby steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2008, 09:44:29 pm »
According to the gyration Remote (this windows mce thing): You say, that 10 buttons dont work in X, do they work in LMCE? As l understood, they do not work in Mythtv, but in LMCE? l'm just asking, because l reaIly don't want to pay 150$ for a REMOTE!!!

danielk

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2008, 10:08:02 pm »
Those 10 buttons on the Gyration Remote don't work in X so they don't work in LinuxMCE. This may change in the future, but this is the current status.

But if you want to save money just use any old remote you have lying around with LIRC. All the Orbiter stuff will be accessible via the arrow keys, you just have to map a key on the remote to F7 to pull up the Orbiter menu, and F6 & F8 if you want some of the optional Orbiter functionality.