Author Topic: LMCE1.1 beta, yet more, installation problem.  (Read 3853 times)

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
LMCE1.1 beta, yet more, installation problem.
« on: May 22, 2007, 02:33:31 am »
Just went through some hours of 1.1 Beta install.. phew. Anyway I earlier had a problem where install didn't want me to use nv driver with my Geforce2 GTS/Pro card. I managed to switch over to the propriatary and get KDE working and I could go on with install.

Then I rebooted and to my surprise, KDE refuse to start. I check the log file and it tell me that the kernel module for nvidia driver got another version than the other one and that they have to match.

Now.. what in the freaking fracken hot duck had to mess with my drivers so that there is a version missmatch!?

This is starting to become a pain and I am stubborn.. a lot    ^^
Then again it is beta so I shouldn't really expect it to work like a charm.

But, I am a gnome user regularly. I turn to synaptic and search it a lot out of lazyness. With KDE I kinda miss that at a first glance and instead turn to usual apt-get and so on. So I am pretty confused what to do here.

How do I get the kernel module driver match with xorgs module it loads?

I went on anyway and ran the dpkg-reconfigure for the xserver and xorg, and reverted back to nv. So atm I am kicking LMCE up with those even if it complains just to see what happens :P

Any clues? :)

Edit: Still no luck. I got the nvidia-legacy drivers working perfectly before install of Linux MCE. Then when it is ready and rebooting, the KDE login screen aren't shown and it hangs with cursor in upper left corner.

I alt+F2 to console and check the Xorg log file and it tells me there is a mismatch of version between API Nvidia module and the Xserver module. So I was adviced to go into /etc/default/linux common etc and add "nvidia_legacy nvidia_new" to it.

Reboot and it still hangs, but this time the log file tell it failed to load Nvidia module and probe tell there is no nvidia in xorg.conf.

I lack important skills here, I think. I am pretty confused to say the least.

Oh I tried download the proprietary drivers from Nvidia and install them and started the install. It told it was missing kernel module and tried getting a possible build from nvidia, which failed. Then tried to build it and that also failed.

Might not be much info, but if there are specific info needed, ask me for it and I'll fix it almost in a flash (I think).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 01:46:18 am by Cryoniq »

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
Re: LMCE1.1 beta, yet more, installation problem.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 12:04:11 pm »
i think that reinstalling nvidia drivers provided by linuxmce will do the trick.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 04:24:12 pm »
The problem after install is this:

API Mismatch: The kernel module has the version 1.0-7184, but this X module has the version 1.0-9631. Please make sure that the kernel module and all nvidia driver components have the same version

Looking at nvidias pages and what card support, it is the 1.0-7184 driver version that is correct, and belong to the nvidia-glx-legacy. Since this worked before LinuxMCE install it means that the install popped in the 1.0-9631 one for the X module?

Would a simple apt reinstall of the nvidia-glx-legacy package do the trick, where the X-module 1.0-9631 get replaced by 1.0-7184?

sharlee_angelo

• Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 05:42:40 pm »
linuxmce installer installed the new version of driver because the interface needs a powerful video card, and not a gf2. you can use UI1 and also you don't need 3d acceleration. you can install nvidia-glx-legacy if it includes a legacy driver. i hope it will work with linuxmce.
Read the F****** Logs!!!

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 09:22:36 pm »
I also figured out now why I couldn't install the nvidia-glx-legacy driver. It helps if the kubuntu repositories in sources.list are there and not the part which LMCE threw in :D
So now I could download the legacy drivers, which removed the nvidia-glx. Rebooted and KDE directly went to business. I am confident I am at least with least UI setting can be able to play some anime avi files etc, and have a look at the functions of LMCE 1.1 Beta, while I build my new htpc box with a lot more juice under the hood (and with a new good nvidia card. I dare no longer go buy ATI, since it is obvious ATI doesn't care even near what Nvidia does about the linux side, even if ATI made me happy for a long time on other OS.. ).

Though remains to be seen how it works. Started up LMCE now and it fiddles around with generating screens etc.

I love problems actually because one learn so much trying to solve it, just no only about the things in question. In windows one doesn't learn cat crap mostly because one aren't let under the hood to do stuff in full control. *hugs his linux boxes*

Cryoniq

• Regular Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 05:41:21 pm »
I had some issues with the old GTS card, so I went and bought a GeForce 6200 256 card instead. Installation worked like a charm, BUT it seemed there was problems showing video in areas. All I got was black squares and I looked through the posts and googled around and I could never figure out what was wrong. I assume 1.1 beta isn't quite operational yet so I abandoned 1.1 and currently installing 1.0 instead (on a 6.10 installation of course).

However I am curious what cause those black boxes. I read that installer had trouble with samba package, but also some other packages; maybe some package and module was left out?
I think I am better off waiting for 1.1 final before having another try, since I also had problem getting access to network storage via nfs. Nothing would show up even if there were tons of video files and directories in those shares. It never seemed to complain about authentication so I figure that was allright and something else wasn't syncing like it should.